French Pewter Measurer ?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Suzy60us, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Suzy60us

Suzy60us Well-Known Member

Davey's Pewter Id is really the best I found.

However, I am not certain what I have nor the age.
    It is 4 5/8" High. I believe the lid is missing. From the Back Mark I think it is French. The Crown and LR mark I cannot find.

DSC04663.JPG DSC04665.JPG DSC04668.JPG

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

Titre légal is just to say that is alimentary tin quality, then 95%, the sort of item you can found by kilos in car boot sales, the bigger ones can weight until 3-4 kilos.
    For the date, I say about 1950 to 1970, no older because of the mention of tin % in this manner, not Swiss because you have to put a 95% hallmark in Switzerland at the same period.
    Somebody put some etching to make a piece which seems to be old.

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

@Lecollectionneur

Pewter patinas have been made and sold for over 40 years,there is no reason to suspect fraud. JAX has made patina solutions for more than 40 years.

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

i need help likes this.
  6. Lecollectionneur

When writing in english and have some doubt I always control with dictionary etc…, then if somebody understand what I wrote as saying it's a forgery or fraud, it was not my intention, just saying what I suppose was a good translation for a design like if the piece was left and not cleaned since a long time, knowing than tin(for me it's not pewter as it is continental) made for alimentary(always 95% at least) is always polished as silver.
    I've found something very interesting but in french about the remelting of ancient tin pieces and the need to use a specific hallmark, nothing with this pitcher but very interesting historically.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    kyratango, i need help, SBSVC and 2 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, Continental European tin is called tin. The tin content legally required is generally higher than in English or American pewter.

kyratango, i need help and judy like this.
  8. Lecollectionneur

In Switzerland there is a long time than it's 90 % by law and 95% usual, which is without lead, just antimony or copper, in other countries I don't know all legislation but pewter has a lower grade of alloy by what I've found on laws publications(if somebody has a link for the official documents please?).

kyratango, i need help and judy like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

tin is a chemical element, pewter is an alloy.
    marks in % were introduced in appr. 1977 by the then founded EPU (European Pewter Union).
    the percentages of tin and added other elements were regulated by the Zünfte and different from city to city. here a list of different names in German:
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinnmarke

the most used were the Nürnberger Probe and in Switzerland the Zürcher Probe.
    Probe means "testing" which was made by the headmaster or city assayer; another thing is the years in the marks - they DO NOT mean the year of production but the year of the last change in the rules of the guild of pewterers.

kyratango, i need help and SBSVC like this.
  11. Suzy60us

Suzy60us Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of you for the education on Pewter. I really appreciate the time you spent helping me.

12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Seeing similar pewter vessels (with lid) called flagon.

13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

14. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

P1910252.JPG
    This piece of French pewter is not lead free