French Plaster or Chalkware Figurines

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by MiteyMaus, Oct 21, 2015.

1. MiteyMaus

MiteyMaus New Member

Have collected a number of these over time. (e.g."Comme Papa","'LÉnfant et la Grenouille"and similar). Most have an indecipherable stamp on back of base, with word "FRANCE"and a number. Wondering if anyone knows of an illustrated and numbered catalogue specific to these figures, or relevant books or articles of same. Some descriptions suggest manufacture around 1920-1940 period.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

welcome ...[​IMG]
    A few photo's might help...:)

3. MiteyMaus

MiteyMaus New Member

Thanks for your reply komokwa. This is new to me so I hope I've uploaded pictures correctly.I believe that these would have been made in large numbers, so I'm surprised that there does not seem to be any info readily available.

Attached Files:

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Those are rather nice.....I hope you find some help here.....they are out of my field...

5. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I think you'll get a good answer if you write your request in French even if googlefrench and post it on one of the French antiques or collectibles forums. I had good success getting info on French artillery that way. I hadn't been able to find it any other way. I translated my request and responses using Google translate and had no problem. I would translate English to French then do it in reverse to see if it still made sense. If it didn't read like good English after reversing, I'd change a few words where the problem seemed to be and that fixed it. I did the same thing quite extensively on Italian and Spanish forums. The Spanish naval history site gave me info on a book on Spanish naval ordnance which I was able to buy that answered dozens af questions I'd had for years. Good luck.

6. MiteyMaus

MiteyMaus New Member

Thanks for the suggestion, which I will try. Your thoughts about reversing the translation afterwards are well founded: sometime ago I constructed a birthday greeting in Italian to put in a card, and when I translated it back the result was horrendously wrong, but screamingly funny! Thanks again and "bonne chance" in your endeavours.

komokwa and Messilane like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted