Featured French portrait drawing from the time of 'le directoire'. Who and by whom ?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Golgatha, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Golgatha

Golgatha Member

Here's a probably French portrait drawing, probably from the time when 'le directoire' ruled France, (1795-1799). 14.9 cm x 12.3 cm. Unfortunately not signed, as is sadly the case with many drawings. At that time nudity was in fashion as an expression of freedom after the revolution. No wonder many ladies succumbed to pneumonia. This one still looks healthy. If you know who the model is and/or who the artist is, then don't hesitate to tell me ! ku13 a k.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Parrot question... Anything on the back? Label, sticker, hand-written notation?

Debora

3. Golgatha

Golgatha Member

Sadly only the Danish framers stamp on the backside.

4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"Sadly?" Stickers, labels and other notations provide lots of information. It would be helpful if you posted a photograph of the full back including frame along with a close-up of the stamp.

Debora

6. Golgatha

Golgatha Member

The drawing was framed in Denmark in the middle of the 20th century. That is about 150 years after the drawing was made and in another country. No help there. I believe the only way to solve the the case is if some clever person recognizes the lady and/or the style of the drawing.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Jivvy

Ah, but see you do have information you are not sharing. How did you determine where and when the piece was drawn?

Mugzinnys and kyratango like this.
  8. Golgatha

Golgatha Member

It looks very French, late 18th century. A couple of museum experts have confirmed my opinion, but they could neither identify the lady, nor the artist, so I hope you can.

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It appears you know best. Good luck with your search.

Debora

carolgal, Mugzinnys, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  10. Jivvy

11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5A501442-EE37-4A11-A62C-F3265F34B9EA.jpeg Just to play Devils Advocate, I don’t think she’s nude.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Mugzinnys and kyratango like this.
  12. Golgatha

Golgatha Member

She looks like a lady from the Renaissance. Much older than my lady.

Draft saved Draft deleted