Featured French reproduction question

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Doc J., Jun 18, 2018.

1. Doc J.

Doc J. Gold and Silver accumulator

My wife and I bought this piece in NYC after having a couple of cocktails. She bought it not me.

I know it is a reproduction. It has a nice finish with a marble top. It fits perfectly in our den:
    [​IMG]

The drawers on the top hold mostly dinner linen. The bottom has a lot of old sterling.

Does anyone know what this was before the current reproduction? Thanks.

judy, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

How is the bottom/lower section behind the doors set up?

Are there shelves? Are there (more) drawers?

Perhaps the best bet would be to see a photo of the interior of the bottom/lower section behind the two sets of double doors.;)

judy likes this.
  3. Doc J.

Frenchrepo1 (1024x681).jpg Frenchrepo1a (1024x550).jpg Frenchrepo1a (1024x550).jpg Here:
    There three selves on the left with no selves on the right.

judy, kyratango and yourturntoloveit like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Stylistically, I'd say Empire, but I don't really understand your question. If it's a reproduction, it's never been anything other than a reproduction. Do you mean: what's its function as a piece of furniture?

judy, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Doc J.

The interior walls in the den are 20' high so the lamps are tall. It's all been faux painted.

This is the other side with the fire place and matching side tables (also reproductions).

Attached Files:

judy likes this.
  6. Doc J.

Yes, of course, it is a function as a piece of furniture. It's the den that has 6 tall windows facing it. These windows allow southern sun light in a big way.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Maybe it could have served as a dining room serving piece/bar?? Could also possibly have been a plush office side cabinet/bar, with removable filing sections under on the right side?? Just possibilities! It's very nice!!

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

French reproduction question......

not touching that with a ten foot pole....!

aaroncab and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Thank goodness I'm not the only one.

Must stop sniggering....... :oops:

komokwa likes this.
  10. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I think sideboard is the correct answer, as a dining room serving piece and for storage of dining silver just as you are using it. Sideboard was a new form of furniture started being made in Hepplewhite style at the end of the 18th century: http://www.sideboards.com/history.html

"In the 18th century, dining rooms were furnished with long serving or "slab" tables. They often had marble tops and were actually used to cut and serve foods. By the end of the 18th century, the sideboard had largely replaced the slab table as the place for serving food in America's fashionable dining rooms. Having first appeared in the 1770s in England, sideboards were featured in the London 1788 book of prices, the same year that Hepplewhite illustrated a sideboard in his Guide. The sideboard had ample storage, with drawers and compartments behind matching doors, yet still offered the convenience of a serving piece. The compartments and drawers were used to store silver flatware, holloware and other serving pieces used in the contemporary dining room."

Aquitaine and yourturntoloveit like this.
  11. Doc J.

That is a fair assessment. :D

I said it was a repo. The area is in our dean with has huge windows that would ruin an original piece of furniture. You can't use early 19th Century furniture in a room with full southern sun light on it every day.

It's a repo but I was wondering what it was a repo of?

My wife said the mover guys positioned the marble top the wrong way. It must weigh 200 pounds. I had to get a few friends over for free wine to get the top rotated for her. ;)

It isn't going anywhere else. It's good storage in a bright sun room, and my friends would require wine equal to the cost of the table now.

Just saying

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Would agree with the empire designation.

Doc J. and yourturntoloveit like this.
  13. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yep, I agree, it has Empire features like gilded hardware & paw/beast feet

14. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Here is an Empire Pier table at the MET C. 1815 built by Charles-Honoré Lannuier in NYC
    pier.jpg

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO. without hands-on inspection very hard to say anything about quality or overpaid/bargain etc.
    there are cabinetmakers in and around Paris that also work for French museums and people that have too much money and buy a small castle for the weekend.
    the three main qualities are
    a) museum quality made in original material and with original techniques; prices go up to 60 to 70 % of an original piece.
    b) hotel quality, good craftsmanship and finish. 30 -35 % of value, mainly made in Northern Italy these days.
    c) the big rest.
    from what I see and from what is said about the marble it looks like b).

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted