Featured French tortoise shell clock help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Estateraiders, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Estateraiders

Estateraiders Active Member

Hello

Hoping to figure out the maker (only found 222 in back). Year and possibly idea of value? (Not sure if that's allowed) 4 glass panels, red tortoise marquetry. Estate sale find. Ive searched a clock identification guide website with over 5000 French clocks.. found 4 with similar dials, but that's it. Thank you. 20200605_052648.jpg 20200605_052648.jpg

2. Estateraiders

Here is the back, inside.

Attached Files:

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The term "Boulle" may help narrow your search. It refers to the combination of brass and tortoiseshell marquetry developed by the French cabinetmaker Andre Charles Boulle.
    This site may be helpful with possible value:
    https://www.carters.com.au/index.cfm/index/5383-clocks-boulle/

But I have also found references to reproduction French Boulle clocks.

To confirm that the tortoiseshell is genuine, examine it with a strong magnifying glass/loop. The dark areas should appear as individual spots of pigment, not as smears of color.

4. Estateraiders

Thank you. I have the letter of purchase from the jeweler who sold it in 1970 Phoenix Biltmore fashion square. They paid $4000 then...he states it is red tortoisshell and is circa 1840...but since it was 1970, im questioning i guess.
    .so i will definitely do that. Thank you. I found a clock with exact clock face, tortoiseshell, finials and feet...made by mage? But i don't know if parts were interchangeable... thank you again for the link and help!

scoutshouse likes this.
  5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I would expect a clock of this seeming quality to be signed ?

lloyd249 and scoutshouse like this.
  6. Estateraiders

French clocks were rarely signed from what i have read.

scoutshouse likes this.
  7. Estateraiders

Additionally, the getty museum is filled with Andre Charles Boulle furniture, that they only attribute to him, since it's all unsigned.

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

That bill of sale is extremely important. Sea turtles such as the hawksbill (the most common source of tortoiseshell) have been a protected species since passage of the endangered species act in 1973. (I am assuming you are located in the US.) Being able to document that the clock is known to have been acquired prior to that date may remove some of the barriers to any resale. But it would be wise to double check with the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

9. Estateraiders

Awesome, thank you.

scoutshouse likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That's quite a site, @2manybooks !!!!!

i need help likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Is there a figure on the top of your clock, @Estateraiders ? Just curious!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

i need help likes this.
  12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Where did you get mage from? I’m not sure that is a makers name.

13. Estateraiders

14. Estateraiders

I did search carters.. wasnt very helpful. Not much to look at. The link i posted above had over 5100 french clocks ... not including all the other clocks... like i said i found 4 with similar features.

15. Estateraiders

Are you all ex ebayers? Or current ebayers? Lol... getting that vibe. I do have a large following elsewhere. Was looking to find a few sites i could recommend to my 100,000 + followers. I review..stuff.

Looking for friendly and helpful. :) :joyful:

16. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I think you have to be pretty careful with state lines with some materials too. Not sure if this is one of them but just a thought.

17. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Out of 100,000 followers not one could help with your item ?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Fid likes this.
  18. Estateraiders

Good thing im not selling it.

19. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Boulle stuff is absolutely beautiful, but from what I've read, it's almost impossible (or very difficult) to maintain. Since Tortoiseshell is a natural product, it can shrink and dry out over time, and that causes the piece to be uneven and the brass and/or shell can pop out.

I love the effect of the brass and shell, but trying to keep it together would give me a nervous breakdown.

Draft saved Draft deleted