Featured Friend in Despair Needs Some Help

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Luis, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Luis

Luis Member

Hello,
    I have a friend of mine that recently had a loss in her family. She inherited this tray, which seems to be Chinese. She is wondering how old it might be and how it is used. There as some inscriptions on the top left, any possible meaning?
    Sorry for the quality of the photos, but she is still going through the mourning process and I did not want to be very intrusive.
    The tray is about 25 x 25 centimeters (including the handles), the painting is protected by glass and the painting seems to be made on a piece of fabric (perhaps silk?); there is a stain that covers most of the top of the painting. I believe that at some point in time something might have spilled over and might have caused this damage. The glass cannot be removed from the top; I guess that somehow from the bottom you would need to disassemble the tray to restore, but looks difficult (more so if you are not an expert!). The wood is in nice condition and the carving though not the best looks nice.
    I will appreciate your guidance on this.
    Luis C6E0CAB7-E89B-4AFF-ABFC-D7ABD15FDAA9.jpeg BD5F7012-B153-4AC4-BCBA-232BE891F486.jpeg 00ACCC8C-3BDC-4504-BECC-864E6B0A57F8.jpeg 47B5F41D-D641-4C9D-B771-6B243F1E2BB5.jpeg 8CC2C224-C41E-47AA-BDDD-843900AEED4E.jpeg 090BA5EB-1A8C-4ED5-9B51-5693922DCE12.jpeg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Knee jerk reaction is a souvenir piece,maybe 1930s-40s. Nice but not terribly rare. Im not sure how you could restore the water stain? I could be wrong so wait for others to chime in.Im sorry about your friends loss.

i need help and judy like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Be sure to check back later/tomorrow.
    @Asian Fever comes around in the evenings. This looks similar to the paintings she said were used for Qianjiang pottery.
    This link is for the pottery.
    http://gotheborg.com/glossary/qianjiang.shtml

Time period might be a little earlier than Johnny thinks, but wait for other responses.

i need help and judy like this.
  4. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

"Antique chinese people making rice wine"

What I can see is: painted in Oct, 1861.

Cannot see clearly who paint it. Just need one more clearer picture. :borg::borg::borg:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  5. Asian Fever

It reads: Guangxu, Xin you, hai yue (Guangxu Emperor 1871-1908, Xin You year means 1861 or 1921 or 1981, Hai yue means Oct.)

As we can see, 1861 is not in the period of Guangxu Emperor. This looks very weird.

I would like to have a clearer picture to see the signitature and date.

Figtree3, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  6. Luis

Luis Member

Hello,
    Thanks a lot for your input! Let me request my friend a better picture of the signature; hopefully she will send it later tonight.
    Luis

judy likes this.
  7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

If painting by itself has some value might consider taking out, doing minor restoration, Put in real picture frame to sell. Put mirror or something nice looking in tray, sell that separate. Nice wood and carving in the tray. BWDIK!

judy and komokwa like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Similar carved wooden trays with lighter wood overlay or inlay used to be sold through Shanghai, late 19th-early 20th century. That is why it is often called Shanghai ware here in Europe, but it could just have been the port it was shipped from.
    I haven't seen this particular combination before, but it looks nice.

I can't imagine the painting having much value on its own, with all that water damage.:( Best keep them together, and not add anything that is not original.

Asian Fever and judy like this.
  9. springfld.arsenal

I like the wood, if u decide to sell it pls advise, if I got it I’d install one of my brass etchings in it, either over or in place of the painting. I’ll have to find an etching that wouldn’t clash with the very busy carving on the frame. Or may I’ll create something that I think compliments the tray.

Any Jewelry, Asian Fever and judy like this.
  10. Asian Fever

Bronze with mother of pearl inlay, that would look nice

11. Luis

Luis Member

Hello,
    Thanks to you all for the input and offers. I will ask my friend if she is willing to part with this item. I have requested additional photos but have not yet heard from her yet. I will keep you posted.
    Luis

12. springfld.arsenal

Tx, agree would look nice but trying to avoid any animal-derived material, never know what may be protected next, clams or? Maybe inlaid copper shapes?

13. springfld.arsenal

Brass inlay in black polyethylene. “Two boys, one noseless, in the rain. In Iowa.”

2E3936DD-4DC6-4C5A-B866-237F5723524C.jpeg

AuDragon likes this.
  14. Luis

Luis Member

Hello,
    Thanks of for the input; that is a nice design springfld but a little bit adventurous! Sorry for the delay, but as I said, my friend is going through some difficult time now and she just send me the attached picture. She managed to send me a close-up of the Chinese inscription, which I am attaching to the thread. Hope it is clear enough to read; otherwise let me know and I will see how to improve it.
    Springfld and Asian Fever, if you can send me a note to my email with your estimates on what you would be willing to pay for the painting and tray respectively, I will pass it to my friend EMAIL REMOVED and see if she is interested in selling these.
    Again thanks for your valuable input.
    Luis F04EC694-9415-49FE-BE30-023913573D4E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2018
    judy likes this.
  15. Asian Fever

upside down... :dead:

16. Luis

Luis Member

Opps! Pardon my Chinese is a bit rusty! Firma.jpeg

17. springfld.arsenal

Thanks, if friend wants to sell, just let me (us) know what amt. is being asked, I’m not in a position to make offer, I’m always worried about ethics and appearances. I suggest friend get valuation from a disinterested party. And I only have casual interest in it thinking it is more in souvenir category, if it is a valuable antique it needs a different sales venue.

judy likes this.
  18. Asian Fever

upload_2018-10-3_21-44-43.png

By "Si hai San ren" - (Four seas leisure man)??
    Cannot find any reference for such person or name. Sorry about it.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted