Frog Jug - Help Please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by artsfarm, Nov 25, 2016.

1. artsfarm

artsfarm Active Member

Hi,
    I have three ceramic pieces that I've had forever, and can't find anything definitive on them as to who/where/when. I'm hoping someone will be able to help.

This is 6" tall to the top of the ring (handle?), and a heavy beige clay with the base and the frogs done in brick red, with the red scraped off the frogs to make the spots. The eyeballs are applied separately, but the frogs themselves were sculpted from the exterior as one.
    If anyone has any idea what this is, or anything about it, that would be great! FROGJUG1.jpg FROGJUG2.jpg FROGJUG3.jpg FROGJUG4.jpg FROGJUG1.jpg The other two pieces are posted separately--Thanks!

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

3. artsfarm

artsfarm Active Member

What a great site, thank you! I don't think this jug is anywhere as old as what's on there, but it does have the 'look'. Maybe it's an older tourist piece from the region. Dunno
    :)

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I definitely took a wild guess there. Thanks, Any!

6. Any Jewelry

Pleasure Gila.
    I love Moche pottery, so I don't mind your wild guess. And you probably got the continent right;).

7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thanks, Any!
    So at least I coulda driven there from Moche-land...

artsfarm likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I'll just go by horseback! (stirrups!)

Draft saved Draft deleted