Featured From Australia - pair of vases - help please

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Wyn4670, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Wyn4670

Wyn4670 New Member

Hello from Queensland Australia
    Relocating 80 year old parents and clearing out their home of 60 years. My Mother got these from her Mother and understood they were her Mother's, so my great grandmother's. Likely bought to Australia from England in mid-1800s if the recollections are correct. As per the photos, there is some damage yet they've been handed down generation to generation so obviously valued by the family ... rightly or wrongly.
    They are approximately 16cms (6") tall; the tops are highlighted with gold and are not perfectly round so ? hand thrown. One has a male and female lion on; the other, a pair of tigers which I assume are also male and female. Bottom mark is 096 or 960 depending on which way you look at it. No other markings which I'd suspect means they're probably nothing but thought I'd query out of respect to my Mum and Grandmother! :angelic:
    Any thoughts or comments welcomed. Happy to be told they're trash and bin them :)
    many thanks
    Wyn4670
    Bundaberg (where Bundaberg Rum is from!)
    Australia

Attached Files:

Firemandk, LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Wyn!............

I can't help, but Welcome to Antiquers................:cat:

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

4. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

The ostrich vase at the link below is decorated in a very similar manner. It has that misty look, with the leaves looking stenciled. It is marked RS Tillowitz / and the listing is titled RS Prussia.

It might be a clue! It's the best similar item I could come up with so far. You have to scroll ALL THE WAY TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE at that link.
    https://www.rubylane.com/item/1108072-00532/R-S-Prussia-4-xbcx94-Vase

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd think early 20th to 1920s with the airbrush work.

7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I agree that they are a bit too late for RS Prussia. Also I don't think I've ever come across an RS piece with a mold number. RS Prussia pieces with animal decals tend to be highly valued and vases with these images are indeed quite rare but the decals were also sold to any company who wished to buy them. Might still be German though. Cute pieces and nice family heirlooms. Perhaps there is someone near you who can do a better repair on tiger vase?

Draft saved Draft deleted