Featured From Ginger Jar to Lamp to Ginger Jar

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Dapunnisher, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Dapunnisher

Dapunnisher Active Member

Hello Chinese Porcelain Experts,

I have acquired a lamp, or what used to be a ginger jar, from a resale shop. I disassembled it to view the bottom to see if there were any marks, of which there is none. However, there is signs of age.

Any help with identifying this piece would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Might as well put it back together as a lamp. That is how it started off as.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The relatively smooth and regular hole in the bottom has been there since this jar was made. It was always a lamp.

4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I like it as a lamp... it's something I might have used in my house.

5. Dapunnisher

Well, the $4.00 spent was well worth the knowledge gained. Thank you everyone!

kyratango, judy, scoutshouse and 4 others like this.
  6. Dapunnisher

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2018-10-30_13-51-50.jpeg upload_2018-10-30_13-52-32.jpeg

Nice find.....
    Design....yes indeed :).....age...you're speculating...;):rolleyes:
    Finesse.....yours doesn't hold a candle to the one you've found on line.
    & it looks like it was made to be a lamp base...

like you said.....you are welcome to believe what you wish to believe....
    but to my way of seeing things your 'evidence' confirms to me that yours is a lackluster copy, made to be a lamp.!!

8. Dapunnisher

If you look at the photo that I took on the bottom of the vase, it is clear that this vase has seen some serious action! If it's true intention was to be a lamp, I would think that a nicer vase would have been chosen, not one that was all scuffed and chipped.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the scuffing and chipping......damaged caused by rubbing against the base & poor firing..
    The demarcation lines ...around the hole.....to show exactly where to center the hole for drilling...

10. Dapunnisher

Ok, last argument is that there is a mark of some type inside the vase, maybe just a paint drip?

the demarcation lines rubbed off.

Attached Files:

11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

It would be very, very unusual for one of these jars to be marked on the interior. It's just too difficult to apply a mark at that angle.
    Don

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted