From Rau again

Discussion in 'Auctions' started by springfld.arsenal, Oct 27, 2018.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

i think their stuff is hugely overpriced but sometimes they get interesting items worth looking at for entertainment

Diamond cats, orange sapphires, headless mosaics...these treats will make you scream! View This Email Online
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BUY WITH CONFIDENCE

about us I events I resource library I customer service

Trick or Treat
    These bewitching baubles are frightfully fun!

• Lapis Lazuli Skull by Andreas von Zadora-Gerlof
    • Orange Sapphire and Diamond Ring, 8.08 Carats
    • Cameo Glass Lamp by Muller Frères
    • Blue Diamond Cat Brooch
    • Qing Dynasty Chinese Foo Dog Totems
    • Rare Walking Sticks

Shop the Collection

From the Blog
    Throughout history, the opal has had many types of lore attached to it. From ancient times onward, this colorful stone was associated with positive attributes such as fidelity, foresight, and beauty. Yet, over time, these beliefs about the opal faded and were gradually replaced by a deepset fear of the stone. To this day, many people believe that opals are bad luck! Let's take a look at the unlikely origins of the opal’s unfortunate reputation and discover how its unrivaled beauty broke that spell.
    Read the Blog

Featured Video
    The Alchemist by Pieter Brueghel the Younger
    Watch the Video

A Blog by Bill Rau Featured in ArtFix Daily
    Divine Provenance: The Vatican Mosaic

Everyone loves a good story. In the realm of fine art and antiques, a good story, or what we call “provenance”, has the power to take a work of art from exceptional to awe-inspiring. In terms of workmanship, subject matter and sheer size, this incredible micromosaic detailing the Biblical story of Saints Valeria and Martial has it all.

Read the Article

Would You Like to Receive Recent Acquisition Alerts?

We'll send you an email when we add pieces to our website...You'll be the first to see these exciting treasures.

Yes! Send Me Recent Acquisition Email Alerts

Recently Acquired:

All Recent Acquisitions

Recent Fine Art

Recent Jewelry

Recent Antiques

M.S. Rau Antiques
    630 Royal Street
    New Orleans, LA 70130
    877-352-4719
    rauantiques.com
    info@rauantiques.com

Update Your Email Preferences or Unsubscribe
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

moreotherstuff and i need help like this.
  2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I REALLY want that blue diamond cat brooch !!! ... Joy.

i need help likes this.
  3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

UMMmm .. just checked the price .. guess I'll just forget about that little dream, Joy.

4. springfld.arsenal

I had to check up on somebody with a long name like that of this artist. I had an idea he had been born into abject poverty as one Bubba Brown, began making stuff, but the galleries told him they didn’t want anything signed Bubba Brown, so he changed his name to a made-up one a gallery owner suggested, and enjoyed instant success. Not quite, I guess. How much of this is true I don’t know but apparently this is the official story, pretty interesting, one dead arm, taught by natives...

http://www.zadoratimepieces.com/about.php

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. springfld.arsenal

I noticed “bespoke” in several of his descriptions of his pieces, apparently meaning the pieces were “made to order.” Made to order by a retailer? If “made to order” by a customer, why is the piece now on the market? Questions, questions!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

"Bespoke" is a trendy word in some circles. Some may not even know the definition. :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Here's what a Wikipedia author wrote:

The word bespoke has evolved from a verb meaning "to speak for something" to its contemporary usage as an adjective that has changed from describing first tailor-made suits and shoes, and later, to anything commissioned to a particular specification (altered or tailored to the customs, tastes, or usage of an individual purchaser), and finally to a general marketing and branding concept implying exclusivity and appealing to snobbery.

8. springfld.arsenal

One of the less-well-known usages describes repetitive steps required in assembling a bicycle wheel. And dis-assembly of said wheel of course involves the opposite, namely “despoke.”

Hey why do you bother these nice people with your made-up B.S.? Some of ‘em might believe it?

Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted