Frosted area on handle of glass basket. Intentional?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I have been selling a large collection of Fenton Glass that included a lot of baskets. This is the only one that had a small frosted area in the center of the handle. Was this done intentionally and if not, what would cause this?

[​IMG]

cxgirl likes this.
  2. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I'm certainly no authority on Fenton and their products, but I can't imagine that was done intentionally.

3. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you for taking a look. Since it was the only basket to have this, I didn't think it was intentional but I had to ask. I wonder how this happened?

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Short fill? Under fill? Is that what it's called with that pinched bit? Maybe the glass was just a bit cooler when it bridged the gap?

Back in 2003, I listed this as a Wexford oddity, and someone contacted me and said it was under fill (I think that's what he called it) - not quite enough glass in the mold.

zz.jpg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    *crs*, SBSVC and cxgirl like this.
  5. Mill Cove Treasures

That's interesting MOS. That's a first for me.

From researching the baskets, I found out that Fenton applied the handles separately from the molds. They even mark the handles with the person who made and applied them. Here is a link to the "basket handlers marks".

http://fentonfan.com/handler.html

Here are a few pictures with the marks impressed into the handles.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SBSVC and cxgirl like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It does look to me like changes have been made to the handle concerning which you are asking. A piece added to either side and unsuccessfully closed at the center? Someone misjudged the length of glass necessary and a piece had to be added?

7. Mill Cove Treasures

Perhaps it is a repair but I don't think it's a factory repair considering how they put the handles on. This is a youtube video that I watched a while ago. It's a tour of the Fenton Factory and it shows several different items getting the handles attached. I could be wrong but I just don't see it being done at the factory. Maybe someone tried to do a homemade "frost" experiment?

cxgirl likes this.
  8. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Cool video. I had to stop about 10 mins in, or I'll be watching glassblowing videos all night ... again.

At 6:35 the Quality Inspector uses a tool to lift the still-hot basket, before putting it back in the annealing oven. Think that could have caused the frosted area, and it was saved as a "second" and sold in the gift shop?

SBSVC likes this.
  9. Mill Cove Treasures

I suppose it is possible but I would think after years of experience, they wouldn't use a tool that could cause a second in that final stage. This will probably remain a mystery. I wonder if it can be polished out?

SBSVC likes this.
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the video MCT! Amazing skills to produce beautiful glass with such ease.

SBSVC likes this.
  11. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Fenton would have put that basket on their shelf as a Second.

Draft saved Draft deleted