Frosted Dolphin Candlesticks - Portieux or AA Imports?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Jul 28, 2015.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello everyone - these candlesticks have me really confused. According to Felt/Stoer Candlestick book the original Portieux Vallerysthal mold found its way to AA Imports and they reproduced this candlestick. Is there a way I can tell if this is the French or Taiwanese version? It stands about 7 3/4" tall and the candle cup measures about 2 3/4" across. The Felt/Stoer book says the spine on the PV model should be sharp and it meets that test but the glass is a bit wavy. Any opinions? Thanks much!
    Don

IMG_20150728_112641911.jpg IMG_20150728_112648457.jpg IMG_20150728_112705695.jpg IMG_20150728_112716281.jpg

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi cxgirl - thank you for your response and the link - it was very helpful. There is a difference in that mine is not frosted on the ring under the candle cup. Also mine is two piece rather than one. I'm leaning towards mine being a reproduction but...
    Thanks again!
    Don

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The MMA shop did them in royal blue. I'm inclined to think yours is by another company, but also a reproduction.

dgbjwc likes this.
  5. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

dgbjwc likes this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thanks for your opinion, evelyb30, I've reluctantly come to the same conclusion. I do have a pair, though, and not much invested ($3). They must have some decorative value. I'll keep my eye out for the MMA reproductions. Usually those are pretty good quality.

Thanks for the link, TallCakes, the pictures are wonderful!
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted