Featured Fun-tastic Folk-Art Brass and Iron Cannon

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by springfld.arsenal, Aug 9, 2018.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

44406875-32EE-4663-A970-A12713CFDDE4.jpeg

932A6727-E1B8-4FC0-8E8E-4156CCEBE934.jpeg E412205F-FEA2-4548-9C5F-5F15579CED95.jpeg A gent posted pix of his cannon find online, saying he wanted to either restore the carriage or build a wood one. I begged him to sell me the carriage and he agreed. It weighs an amazing 130 lbs, is about 22” long and maybe 10” wide. I had no interest in the barrel because I’m sure I have one that’ll fit more or less and will look better. I really like the folk-artsy carriage with the goofy dolphins, can’t wait to get the package. I’ve never seen anything like it. Most folk art cannons have very simple wood carriages with no art work. This iron one’s a “piece of work” to be sure!

85271144-0007-4CCE-BEFB-A7FEB2596155.jpeg

Jivvy, AuDragon, Figtree3 and 9 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Even I, with a total lack of knowledge of and little interest in the weapon part, can tell why you'd beg for this, Spring! Fun-tastic is the perfect term!

Jivvy, James Conrad, judy and 2 others like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

How fun is that ??? I wonder if it was circus related?

James Conrad and judy like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

these stylized dolphins could be a hint towards it being a toy for a dauphin.

Jivvy and James Conrad like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

It's actually very similar to the dolphins from the Sub Base in Groton CT. Somewhere I have a photo of the sign on the road leading in to the base. Here's an image from the internet. s-l225.jpg

7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

The 3 heavy boxes got here yesterday, one for each side of the chassis and one for the wheels. Each side, packed, weighed 83 lbs, no wonder the delivery guy left them in the driveway, not on the porch. A helper will unpack and assemble tomorrow ‘cause I have to be on the road. There’s a great debate raging on the Greybeard Blackpowder Cannon forum over who or what organization may have used the little cannon. Since it looks to me like a “one off” it’ll be very hard to figure all that out.

8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

LOVE that cannon base!!! So would my brother have, were he still alive!!!!! He was a Submariner......although I think he'd have done something with that green paint.......but they ARE GREAT!!!!

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My husband spent a good deal of his career as a Seabee attached to CBMU202 in Groton. I was a Navy Family Ombudsman and had an office there, too, so we were there one weekend a month for many years.

Draft saved Draft deleted