Featured Funky ceramic goblet and teapot?!? & Is this guy made in Japan?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gauntlettgems, Apr 15, 2018.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

IMG_5852.jpg IMG_5856.jpg IMG_5863.jpg IMG_5866.jpg IMG_5842.jpg IMG_5849.jpg IMG_5844.jpg IMG_5843.jpg IMG_5845.jpg
    I bought the teapot and goblet (?!?) in the same place but they were sold separately. The colors and bottom mark made me think they went together or at least maybe pieces from a larger set. The colors also made me think of the Miami Vice era but I have no clue on anything about these pieces. I am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction so I can research further!

I first thought the guy was maybe a reproduction of something German out of Japan. The longer I looked at him I started thinking he looked Italian made. I can't make heads or tails out of the few marks on the bottom. If anyone recognizes age, maker, origin, or anything else you'd like to add, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thank you for all of your help and have a happy Sunday!!

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That teapot and cup are to die for ! totally 80s ! Try searching Memphis style.

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The figurine looks like it was inspired by Cordey, but not.

judy likes this.
  4. gauntlettgems

Ok, a place to start! Ty!

judy likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Holy stuck a feather in his cap and called it macaroni! Except that's more of a fusili wig he's got going on.

judy and gauntlettgems like this.
  6. gauntlettgems

His hair does look like that!

judy likes this.
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The first two are very nice and I would think a rather talented studio potter produced them. If no one here can help I would try the Studio Pottery Identification page on Facebook. I'm leaning towards Italian on the figurine based mainly on the bottom. The bottom would seem to rule out US, English, French, and German pottery. The kind of black wash effect also looks Italian (at least to me). Sorry I can't offer anything more definitive.
    Don

judy and gauntlettgems like this.
  9. gauntlettgems

The worthpoint listing is just about the same teapot with a different color scheme. It has the same mark!

judy likes this.
  10. gauntlettgems

I'll keep searching I think Italian is right Ty all

judy likes this.
  11. janetpjohn

12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Yes Janet, he also said, "but not" which is what I think too.

The 1980s pitcher and cup are wonderful. I think Italian too..

13. antidiem

I found an online company called 1stDibs that has a "post modern" section listed, not sure if they have individual sellers (like Ebay and Etsy) or not? Anyone know?

14. janetpjohn

The figurine listing says it has the same number as this one has in black ink , 5041, and is also marked Corday, but no picture. That's why I posted it.

antidiem likes this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

We've seen them before...& their prices seen always high..

16. antidiem

Draft saved Draft deleted