Featured G. Silver 1908 pat. thimble holder case

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Lucille.b, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

If I understand correctly "G.Silver" is short for "German Silver" and is not silver at all.

This is kind of a cool piece, got it yesterday at an estate sale in the middle of a snow storm. Had some questions.

It is tarnished to beat the band. Also looks like possibly a former owner tried polishing with some polishing cream as I'm seeing white residue.

I took a sunshine cloth to the back of it, it seemed to erase one spot of tarnish, but I don't want to damage the finish. Thoughts?

It pops open with German precision. Didn't get a shot of this, but inside has a removable wood (or other) frame for the thimble. Silk is quite frayed, but I love the Art Nouveau-like woman on the case top. Thimble is not marked but sure looks like it might be sterling. It is marked on the exterior with a "9" which I assume is a size marking.

General thoughts welcome. I've never seen one of these cases before. Also do you think okay to go at it with a sunshine cloth?

box2.jpg box3.jpg box4.jpg box4a.jpg box4b.jpg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

A Sunshine won't hurt it at all.

patd8643, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

A lot of what passes as "tarnish" is actually just "gunk" which can be removed with rubbing and can give a false sense that the item is silver plated. That said, it is still possible that it's plated. I would be gentle with it, just in case.

With the marking in English, I would think this was made here and not in Germany (if your description of "German precision" was intended to ask that question.)

judy, Lucille.b and i need help like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Thanks Bear and Bakers.

Yes I was thinking German because of the G. Silver, but your point is excellent. It's written in English!

judy and i need help like this.
  5. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I love pieces like this:) sometimes thimbles have the sterling mark on the top inside the thimble, I used a flashlight to check the ones I had.

Lucille.b, Phaik Hooi, Jivvy and 5 others like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Great suggestions @cxgirl ! Just got the flashlight out and there is some kind of maker's stamp in there!

Will try to get a photo...

Thanks!:)

LIbraryLady, judy, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous, and I love the Art Nouveau lady as well.
    I think @Poisonivy will love it too.

8. Lucille.b

Big shout out to Cxgirl. :) Great idea with the flashlight. Already ID'd the thimble. Simon Bros. Almost certainly sterling. Not huge value, but a nice add-on to the box. Will sell together.

Most of the Simon Brothers thimbles have a more elaborate "S", but found a site that shows this as one of the stamps. Not sure if that means earlier or later, didn't specify a date, but figure the thimble collectors will know what is what.

box5.jpg box5c.jpg

9. Lucille.b

Back to the box, the sunshine cloth wasn't doing much (although admittedly the only one I have on hand is dark and filled with tarnish.)

I put a dab of simichrome silver polish on the back and it polished it to a mirror shine.

Do I dare put silver polish on this? Is it possible something stamped "G. Silver" would be silverplate? Sounds like a maybe from Baker's post -- I just am not familiar with G. Silver, but have to say this is behaving like silverplate or silver. If I had to guess, maybe silverplate.

@Bakersgma @Ownedbybear or anyone else who is familiar with G. Silver items. Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  10. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

glad it worked:)

11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm glad it worked too! Remember "german silver" (although containing no silver in the alloy) was a common base for silver plating in the US and was also used without plating to "look like" silver. Whichever is the case here, the maker apparently did a very good job of finishing the surface.

Lucille.b, judy and i need help like this.
  12. Lucille.b

Thank you.

judy likes this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Someone thought a LOT of their thimble!!!!! LOVE IT!!!

14. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

I have a LOT of thimble cases but I've ever seen one like that....
    Silver or not it's very desirable.
    I LOVE it :)
    The thimble is a silver Simons Bros thimble and there is a market just for their thimbles alone and that one is very collectible.
    It is a scenic one and very hard to find here.....
    I'm very jealous :)

cxgirl, Lucille.b, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

DCD17F31-D5FC-4A6A-9001-8B3677CDB7C7.jpeg 62834F73-6EB9-405B-879B-781C66D514E7.jpeg First picture is a Fleur de Lis box with the same pat. as yours. Next is what I think is the same box with some detail given. The patent seems to be for the spring action lock. All just guesses and might not apply to yours.
    Pictured: In 1902, Ernest Oldenbusch of Hoboken, N.J., designed this fleur-de-lis box for an unknown retailer (many designers and retailers are unknown today). The German silver-plate ring box was made with a spring and latch design, a staircase bottom, and a cream-velvet lining.
    https://www.countryliving.com/shopping/antiques/g338/antique-ring-boxes-0607/

16. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

judy, Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  17. i need help

The diagram looks like the same construction. And very interesting information about him. :)

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

And thanks for finding his name! Otherwise I might not have even tried finding a 1902 patent with just the word "box." :)

judy and i need help like this.
  19. i need help

I tried that first. :banghead: :)

judy, Jivvy and Figtree3 like this.
  20. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Me, too. :hilarious:

judy, Figtree3 and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted