Featured Gambaro & Poggi Murano Paperweight?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Dec 8, 2020.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

When I bought this, I thought it was a paperweight. Something I am particularly fond of. The label says
    Vetreria Artistica
    Gambaro & Poggi
    Murano
    Made in Italy.​
    When I got it home, I discovered it had a hole in the middle. It looks like a paperweight - is this a type of paperweight? Is it missing a stand? Or was this done to reduce weight? It is opaque, so its not for a light. It is 3 1/2 inches tall and 3 1/2 inches in diameter at its widest point.
    I do have a reverse painted paperweight that revolves that I posted earlier. (below) Is that what is going on here? Please help. I need to know if something is missing.[​IMG]

The Gambaro and Poggi paperweight.
    IMG_8032.jpg IMG_8031.jpg IMG_8030.jpg IMG_8022.jpg IMG_8025.jpg IMG_8035.JPG

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

are you sure it isn't a shade?

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/210534_406-art-deco-1920s-dancer-millefiori-lamp#&gid=1&pid=1

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/l...o-millefiori-glass-shade-globe/id-f_10251013/

https://www.artedeco.com.au/product/rare-art-deco-egyptian-revival-lamp-with-millefiori-shade/

3. KikoBlueEyes

4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

5. KikoBlueEyes

6. KikoBlueEyes

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

there are paperweight light stands, maybe get one of those until you can find the right lamp for it:) It looks beautiful as it is, but I bet it would really pop lit up:)
    Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 5.51.02 PM.png

8. KikoBlueEyes

Apparently they do lamps -
    That would be great. Can you give me the link to those pictured. I have a plastic one under my Harry Potter and the Cursed Child paperweight, but it does colors.

9. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

10. KikoBlueEyes

11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

that is pretty. I learned a lot from this thread.

12. KikoBlueEyes

I did too. The bases with the Art Deco Pixie on them are priced in the low four figures on ebay.

13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

your shade isn't from the deco period so wouldn't be original to a deco lamp, not sure if that would make a difference in sale price or not though.

Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

You are right. Gambaro & Poggi was started in 1974. I looked at lamps with globes and found they were dominated with this 1920's Austrian born designer Gerda Gerdago Pixie Lamps with this millefiori shade. I know you found another design, but I haven't anything yet that is modern or a reproduction.

Any Jewelry and cxgirl like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

According to Christie's, there is such a thing as a hollow paperweight. Mine doesn't even come close to their description, though. Quote from Christie's "and crown weights, which are hollow weights that usually alternate swirling white and coloured filigree canes radiating from a central millefiori cane."
    I found examples of hollow paperweights even a Murano one.

cxgirl likes this.
  16. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

do you mean reproduction lamp bases? check out this site, they have amazing stuff, all reproductions:)
    https://classiquesenfurniture.com.au/art-deco-lamps

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

maybe yours is a hollow weight:)
    Crown weights aren't really hollow, the designs are on the 'outside' so to speak, but still solid glass. The design is open at the bottom but sealed in glass. Here is a St Louis 1986 Crown weight, hopefully you can see what I mean by looking at the bottom of the weight:)

FDvTlVU--K.7QFyQG7P1NA-smallw.jpg pAEaVYrJBUplZoABuXtoqA-smallw.jpg

18. KikoBlueEyes

Way cool. They even have some that might fit my shade. Thanks for this. I limited my art deco lamp search to those pixies.

19. KikoBlueEyes

I love what you know. I took Christie's statement as meaning actual hollow. They should have put quotes around it, but I did see others mention crown weights as hollow too. I have no clue obviously.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Just MHO...I have had hollow..hole in bottom PWs..and were to be used on a light stand as shown as cxgirl said or without light . I never did call them "lamps"...but guess that is a fair term. The size of yours..is a common one for PWs. BTW--nice PW !!!

KikoBlueEyes and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted