Featured Gambling for silver...

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Jul 30, 2020.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Just bought this one, no clue if I guessed correctly. My two theories:

1. Just silverplate, but pretty
    2. German hanau 800 silver item

What do you think? (note: I know I don't have any marks to work with, I just had to take the gamble on this one):

1.jpg 2.JPG

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not sure either, but the piece in the background of that smaller photo sure looks real. If that's good this might be too.

pearlsnblume, Christmasjoy and MrNate like this.
  3. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Yes, I considered that one also. I picked a few other items. I'll be sure to update once I get them. I was intrigued by the bottom of this one (perhaps incorrectly) as it seems someone took a good amount of effort to add a design to the base...

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. evelyb30

It looks machine-stamped from here, but real silver is done that way sometimes.

Christmasjoy, Tanya and MrNate like this.
  5. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Well...I have goodies to show you all. I'm kinda pinching myself today with the luck I've been having lately. As mentioned, this one was a gamble for me. To those of you trying your luck, I offer this advice to you: go with your instincts. You are going to make mistakes, but as long as you learn along the way you will do well. I forgot to mention that I had the seller throw one more item in for me that I thought was going to be real. So, here's what I got for $35 (the dinner bells are marked sterling hecho en mexico but I forgot to upload the photo):

IMG_6299.JPG IMG_6300.JPG IMG_6301.JPG IMG_6302.JPG IMG_6303.JPG IMG_6305.JPG

And just so I don't clog up the forum, I got this one in the mail today. This was 100% a gamble (and I certainly could have been wrong) as there was never a chance the seller was going to find these marks. I spend about 5 minutes scanning all over the plate trying before I found the mark. Price on this was $25:

IMG_6306.JPG IMG_6307.JPG IMG_6308.JPG IMG_6309.JPG

6. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I hope you enjoy it as much as me. Hard to see on the marks, but there's an upside down "GERMANY" stamped to the right of the 800 mark:

IMG_6321.JPG IMG_6322.JPG IMG_6323.JPG IMG_6324.JPG IMG_6325.JPG IMG_6326.JPG IMG_6327.JPG

7. evelyb30

Dingding ding! Mr Nate strikes again! That Portuguese mark must have been a pain; I swear they hide the marks and dare you silver people to find them.

Christmasjoy, Lucille.b and MrNate like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

It did polish up nicely, but what is it? Seems to be missing some thing or things that attached to the screws on the bird's head and behind the garland. The bells in your earlier posts were part of something else?

9. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I was really hoping someone would ask about the screws, I have absolutely no clue and I’m hoping someone else has an idea. It appears to me these pieces are original to it.

The bells, based on this they are complete and are dinner bells:

http://www.antiques.com/classified/1090148/Antique-Mexican-Sterling-Silver-Double-Dinner-Bell-

10. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Maybe @Bronwen will recognize a familiar(to her) scene and be able to guess at what might be missing?

11. evelyb30

It definitely had another piece on there - the base to a wheelbarrow or a big basket probably. Cupid has a thing for flowers. I'd guess it was the lid to some sort of box originally, but either the two were separated or the base broke if it was porcelain or crystal.

Christmasjoy, Lucille.b and smallaxe like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

In front of him was probably a large urn, maybe with flowers if it was strictly decorative & not functional. Or could have been a fountain. The screw behind the garland is very puzzling. Seems heavy duty for anything small enough to fit in the space available. Can't imagine it was something that stuck up in front of Cupid.

@MrNate Is there some movement of the garland in the hands or is it firmly in place?

13. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

The garland has a range of motion, perhaps 1/4 of a circle swinging range from the hands?

Christmasjoy, Lucille.b and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm confused about why there would be anything attached to the top of the bird's head.

I guess the range of motion for the garland would be self-evident if we knew what this was supposed to be.

Christmasjoy, Lucille.b and Bronwen like this.
  15. Bronwen

Both screws have a decorative nut on them? Can these be removed or does the screw end flare to prevent that? I asked about movement in the garland because it was the only way I could see for there to be enough space for anything to attach behind & the hands looked like hinges. The whole thing was functional in some way, not just a lid to something else. Could the dove be the pedestal for some kind of little pot that had a lid that was held by an arm attached to the garland? Can the garland raise high enough for that? I'm thinking smoking or desk accessory.

16. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Great observations and questions Bronwen I'm really enjoying this:

Can the nuts be removed: yes, i took them both of for cleaning.

The garland can be raised just below level to the ground, then the movement is limited.

I really like your idea of lifting up on the garland to open a lid, that is neat. I really wish I could find this little guys "twin" somewhere out on the internet, but so far my search of "german silver cherub statue/center piece" hasn't found the little guy ;)

17. Bronwen

I have to think the screws held something that was removable/replaceable/interchangeable & that it was expected the nuts would be visible. Darned if I can imagine what. If the mystery is solved, it will be so obvious in retrospect.

As nearly as you can tell, are the 2 screws the same length?

DragonflyWink likes this.
  18. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I think it's the decorative "spike" on a helmet, like in the magnificent men in their flying machines guy is wearing e.g.

6144-19438.jpg

komokwa, Bronwen and MrNate like this.
  19. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Yes they appear the same general length. The screw on the garland is such a mystery to me. I could easily something placed on the bird/eagle, but the underside of the garland has me stumped.

Bronwen likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Great finds again, Nate.
    I was thinking a porcelain or glass bowl. For bonbons or anything else that isn't liquid.
    It doesn't have any Hanau marks, so it could have been made anywhere in Germany.

Bronwen, MrNate and DragonflyWink like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted