Featured Game Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by GaleriaGila, Oct 15, 2015.

1. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

It's about 2.5 feet tall, topped by a 2 foot square. The game patterns are etched and then paint was applied on some kind of stone or slate, I think. The wood looks to me like pine. I have no backstory past my purchase of it at a local (Ohio) estate sale. It was the end of the day; they were asking 50; I offered 25 and they accepted. It is heavy - about 12 pounds. I guess I'll Craig's List it. Help, please?

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's nice......you could keep it and learn to play chess !! :):)

Ryan and GaleriaGila like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks "Stickly" era-ish.....kinda like really neat!!!! I'd check it out further if you can!

Ryan and GaleriaGila like this.
  4. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thanks, both. It's kinda growing on me. I know how to play chess but I have no patience for strategy. I rarely take more than a couple of seconds to make a move, so it doesn't take long to beat me, which is fine with me because I'm so bored. I think I will keep it.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Hm. Looks like a copy of pietra dura techniques. Are you sure it's painted?

GaleriaGila likes this.
  6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Yes, sadly... it's painted on. Worn off in spots. I also chipped away a small spot.

7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Looks 1970-ish to me, primarily due to the wood part. Kind of that "Spanish Colonial" look. No idea whether the top was original to it, but probably was. It is kind of a novelty thing I'd say, not really made as a more traditional piece such as a lamp table or night stand, so resale might be tough, but I'm sure you can find a use for it. Has Brad commented yet, he's the furniture guru.

fidbald and GaleriaGila like this.
  8. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thank you!
    I actually just messaged Brad.
    I appreciate your thoughts. :)

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I am out of town again so don't have 24 hour access to the internet. Table is quite nice. Looks like pine. Makes me think a home made or shop project to fit a commercially made board. Circa 1930 maybe but really could have been made a decade earlier or on in to the 50s. I suppose it is a factory piece but I really don't see a factory going to go through all the trouble to make this in this manner, particularly in pine.

GaleriaGila likes this.
  10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

The Brad has spoken. Thank you!

11. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Looks oak to me. Also looks very cool to me. Very mission...but over the top. WAG circa 1900-20? Is the top possibly on an original top? I like the genuine distressed look it has if from the ages. IF the top IS original it would probably respond well to a very light, sympathetic cleaning and a little wax. the studs are a very cool touch and true to the period. Stickley hand hammered brass studs for his furniture.

Around here this would pull a few folks outta the woodwork...if it looks as good as the photo...to me.

I'd a bought it for 25 bucks so fast it'd make yer head spin.

komokwa likes this.
  12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thank youuuuuuuuuu!
    It's definitely a keeper, then... gonna clean it up as you suggested.
    I have a lot of hints to research, thanks to everybody!
    I had that 25 bucks on me cuz somebody repaid a loan...
    Kismit!

Draft saved Draft deleted