Featured Gatierre, Danbiere & Other Mysteries

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Bronwen, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Because the topic keeps popping up in the Cameo Show & Tell thread, as well as in another one started by me, Numismatic Fraud Mystery , I decided to try to pull it together in one place. I don't know anything other than what can be inferred from the items themselves.

For some reason, the manufacturer of these very high quality fakes chose not just to leave products unmarked but also, on some of them, to add touches that are deliberately misleading as to the name of the company and the country of origin. At the same time, they did it in such a way as to hint at the deception.

Most or all of the art on their faux marbre plaques is copied from works in other media. I cannot say all only because I have not yet found an original for some of them. Everyone is invited to add to any part of what is going to be a tangled thread; finding the artwork is an area where I can use all eyes. I have never seen a patent or registration number on any item.

I think it is possible to trace the development of these sophisticated resin items, starting with the cameos. I will have to write this in installments.

KSW, BoudiccaJones, Xristina and 7 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

LA'GATIERRE My guess is that these are the first attempt at turning this polymer into jewellery. The relief is lower, the lines less crisp, the color unnatural.

La Gatierre 1A adj.jpg La Gatierre 1B adj.jpg La Gatierre 3A adj.jpg La Gatierre 3C adj.jpg La Gatierre 6B adj.jpg

If you were not utterly fooled into thinking the cameos date to 1832, you might still think they were something like a promotional or commemorative item. While there is a town in the Loire called La Gatière, the Internet knows no perfume or perfumerie with this name & politely suggests that perhaps you really meant gatterie, a cake shop. When you scrutinize it more carefully, you realize that apostrophe has no business being there and you might, as I do, think a genuine French spelling would more likely be La Gattière.

The fact that the settings are sterling silver, or at least are marked as such, also leads people to assume the cameo is 'genuine', whatever that means to the individual.

This cameo also came in this setting. We will be seeing it again.

La Gatierre 7 adj.jpg

BoudiccaJones, KSW, mmarco102 and 9 others like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Do you have the records of the Cosa Nostra,Mafia,Gypsy's,etc.,etc....... If not lots of luck finding anything positive.

KSW, Xristina, judy and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bronwen

Still monochromatic, but very high relief, better design, various colors.

Resin Nouveau Lady 8A adj.jpg
    This one is most like a direct descendant of the LA'GATIERRE design. Besides the color, there is the empty space in front of the face. Most I have seen have horizontal scoring on the background.
    Resin nouveau lady 13A.jpg coral look lava Q bacchante adj.JPG Resin nouveau lady 3 adj.jpg Resin nouveau lady black 2A adj.jpg

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    KSW, Xristina, BMRT and 7 others like this.
  5. Bronwen

If this were the worst thing La Cosa Nostra ever did, the world would be a better place. Whoever was behind all this paid great attention to detail & had a great sense of what would be appealing.

BoudiccaJones, KSW, BMRT and 3 others like this.
  6. Hollyblue

That is the way they work things,use professionals to make the products at a reasonable cost and then misrepresent the product for a good profit.

KSW, antidiem and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

The pebbled frame was not the only one used.

Resin nouveau lady 2 adj.jpg

Sometimes it is possible to see how these cameos would look when the edges are not hidden.

Resin nouveau lady 4 adj.jpg Resin nouveau lady 4B adj.jpg

Resin nouveau lady on resin 1A adj.jpg Resin nouveau lady on resin 1B adj.jpg Resin nouveau lady on resin 1D adj.jpg

KSW, Xristina, Figtree3 and 5 others like this.
  8. Hollyblue

Spoiler Alert

I was just looking a section on ebay with a number of "fake"/reproduction items and this piece came up on the bottom of the page.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Paris-Exposition-C1889-Marble-Relief-Plaque-By-T-P-Danbiere-Gilt-Wood-Frame/203008171989?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=225074&meid=5f02927c60cb4939a80105e1ffe93ef0&pid=100667&rk=1&rkt=2&mehot=none&sd=203008171989&itm=203008171989&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2334524&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042

9. Bronwen

I should get you to edit your post to add 'Spoiler Alert' to the start of your post. Plaques with that design are what link the whole line of faux marble with the cameo products & will be taken up in a future post. Thanks for keeping your eyes open. I didn't know about the [spoiler alert] frogs until they were found as part of the Numismatic Fraud investigation.

If anyone finds something else that can be linked to this manufacturer that is not a cameo, a trinket box, a plaque in faux marble or faux bronze, or a frog, I'm not sure I want to know!

10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Pheeww... So much of them! Bravo Bronwen for putting all this together:woot:
    Sure, the more "lookers", the more pieces and perhaps infos will pop up!:)

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Bronwen, are you just looking to solve the 'Gatierre' and 'Danbiere' mysteries or will any resin scam do? If the latter, here is a 'hand carved out of natural turquoise' cameo, set in sterling silver, of course:

[​IMG]

Signature on the back!
    [​IMG]

KSW, Xristina, antidiem and 1 other person like this.
  12. Bronwen

I'm just getting started; there is so much more to go.

I have very little hope of ever getting to the bottom of who made these, but I may be able to compile & publish most of their output, or enough representative samples, that this will become someplace people will find when researching their 'treasure'. The numismatic fraud thread already comes up in searches. Right now prices have became ridiculous for what is essentially plastic and misinformation is far more prevalent than more accurate characterizations. This is a fight for truth and justice, folks!

My intent was that the thread be about this specific family of resin work, but it can't hurt to add in others, & maybe someone will turn up others that can be linked to these. I did not always recognize the Gatierre cameos as of a piece with their more accomplished sisters.

KSW, BoudiccaJones, bluumz and 6 others like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

I am sure the ones that don't have that ugly staining can be quite deceptive.
    If I come across one, I will let you know.:)

KSW, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bronwen

The coloring of these cameos appears so naturalistic and the image has such strong appeal, it is understandable why they so often are mistaken for what they appear to be and why, even when correctly described as resin and despite not being set in precious metal, it is not unusual for them to sell for $90 - 100.

DoveArtificial 5A adj.jpg Woman Dove 4 front adj.JPG DoveArtificial2.jpg

At the time of this writing, the asking price for the Volupté compact shown below is $2,500, understandable if you believe the completely inaccurate description of the cameo given in a collectors' guide, which even notes the incongruity of such a cameo on a relatively ordinary compact body.

Volupte compact lid adj.jpg Volupte compact book adj.jpg Volupte compact book adj crop.jpg

The origin of this touching image may have been this design by Henryk Winograd:

Woman w dove Henryk Winograd.jpg

There are some noticeable technical changes between the previous cameo, whom I think of as Nouveau Lady and this lady with her pet bird. Now the pieces are in two colors, like genuine sardonyx & sardonyx shell cameos; the background layer of the 'shell' version even has subtly shaded color like natural shell can have. They can be so convincing that this one was able to sneak into an auction lot along with other shell cameos:

Woman Dove in adj.jpg

The orange cameos can be distinguished from actual shell by their yellowish figures, flat backs and, when visible, thick edges.

Woman w dove 4C adj.jpg

KSW, Xristina, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I don’t know if it helps at all, or if you already realized, but many of the D’Anbiere items state they might be made of Bois Durci.

I don’t know who started that internet rumor, but it is rampant.
    Add that to the fakery.

16. Bronwen

The material used for the background of the lady with her bird is more crystalline and less resilient than that employed for Nouveau Lady, whom I have never seen with any damage. The two-tone cameos are quite hard, but brittle, almost like hard candy. When fractured, it is not a jagged break.

Woman Dove 4 back adj.JPG woman w dove agate look adj.jpg

The material of the figure can craze without the layer below suffering damage:

DoveArtificial 4 crazed A adj.jpg DoveArtificial 4 crazed B adj.jpg

Some of you may be asking what connects the lady and her bird to Nouveau Lady and when is this Danbiere going to show up? Stay tuned.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Bronwen

Yes, I've seen the bois durci hypothesis. Did not realize it had become rampant. I probably would have let it slide as one more misidentification of the material but now it will have to have at least one more mention.

Funny you wrote D'Anbiere. I have never seen it written on any of the pieces that way, but it had crossed my mind that, after La'Gatierre, it may have been under consideration.

18. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Oh, I just did that without thinking. Nothing comes up with that spelling.

KSW, kyratango, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  19. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

@Bronwen , Thanks for all the great information. I love learning more about antique jewelry!

KSW, komokwa, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

I keep thinking 'une bière', but carry on.:playful:

KSW, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted