Gauguin Femmes Maoris Print

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Jun 25, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

The print appears to have some age but most probably an offset litho as there are no numbering and signatures (signed in plate only)? So, I guess a little value?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

KingofThings and Pat P like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't know what's going on here , but it looks like an artists sketch.....

judy and KingofThings like this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Are you sure it's not an original drawing? Even if it's a print, it doesn't appear to be an offset lithograph in the images. Or do you see tiny dots under a loupe?

I like the image and think it's well done, though looks like an unfinished sketch.

4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ah, Komo beat me to it!

judy, KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  5. komokwa

" great minds think alike "...........:confused::sour::singing::yuck::wacky::hungover:...........:vomit:......:nurse::nurse:...!

judy, KingofThings and Pat P like this.
  6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I just looked up "Gauguin femmes maoris." So apparently it *is* a print, but might be an original even if unsigned.

If it's not an original print, and you don't see small dots under a loupe, I'd still say it's not an offset lithograph. There are other techniques that have been used to create reproductions that don't show dots.

7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

But of course! :)

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  8. komokwa

Is the antiques RS coming to a town near you Kardi......if not , show a photo to Christies......and see if they bite !

9. kardinalisimo

I've never ever received reply from Christies so far. I think they have a $5000 limit but still they never bothered to answer me.
    I am still waiting from them on Della Gatta which Bonhams estimate 5000-7000 Britiah pounds.
    I have to research a little bit on Gauguin prints. I see that he did ponchoirs. But those would be considered original prints, right? I cannot find info on my piece, was the original a hand drawn sketch, what medium, only in one example?
    Then, I see lithographs with colored stencils AFTER Gauguin.
    Here is a ponchoir of Femmes Maori but no detailed info:

http://www.roussard.com/artistes/nouveaux/gauguin.html

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

There are a bunch of them on the internet in galleries and they have the same lines and scribbles so this is obviously a print of some type.

11. kardinalisimo

A bunch? How many did you see? Maybe I am not searching right but I found only few.

12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Kard, pochoirs (no "n") are stenciled prints. Your print doesn't look like a pochoir to me, and I think it's possible that site was mistaken.

From what I could tell googling, your print may have been reproduced from one of Gauguin's sketch books. If it was created using a better reproduction technique, it may have more value than an offset lithograph.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  13. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

A bunch, a few. The point is that they look exactly the same, so they may be from the same source.

14. Lance

Lance New Member

I bought one of these prints today. It’s also old and is an excellent quality lithograph. The charity shop I bought it from said it had been donated by ‘a collector’ and they had confidence it had value especially given that it’s of a study. Doing a little research it appears to be originally from a book of Gauguin’s studies. Have any of you learned any more about the value of the print you were discussing? Thanks

judy likes this.
  15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@kardinalisimo , this was your thread a while ago. Any information for Lance?

16. Blackpearl29

Blackpearl29 New Member

These ladies are from Martinique, as Gauguin painted them there. No Maoris, sorry to tell.

17. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

This post is 7 years old. No need to wake the dead.

Figtree3 likes this.
  18. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

It's okay to revive old threads with new comments and/or information. That's one of the wonderful things about this archive on this forum.:)

Figtree3 likes this.
  19. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

True enough, just don’t expect that the original poster is around to see your comments.

20. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Yes, that's been happening alot around here, much to my sorrow.:( But last I heard, Kardi is still alive and kickin', active on eBay.:)

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted