Featured Gems ID

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Oct 20, 2019.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Using my new gem tester I’ve tested a load of gems to try to understand what it’s telling me. It would appear contrary and indecisive at times and can change its mind at the drop of a hat but it’s at least giving me some idea of what I’ve got. These gems it’s given me some options and I’d like to check I’m interpreting it correctly. Please would you mind looking. I know the photos aren’t great , the light is dreadful but I’ll get better ones if they aren’t good enough.
    1)Almandine- Is that Garnet?

2FB203EE-28DD-4679-B1A4-5E60FBCB195B.jpeg
    2)Amethyst- gave me a few options but seems the most obvious.
    BE37AA5A-56E1-4775-AFBF-7DD37CF1396E.jpeg
    3)Chrysoberyl or Spinel These are black.
    4E8353C3-AED4-46C2-ADC4-B629D9D4708B.jpeg
    4)Chrysoberyl or Spinel
    FB3919BC-106C-402B-AE94-FA561169D5C6.jpeg
    5)Aquamarine, Chrosophrase,Emerald, Nephrite?
    EF953186-E96B-4114-A1BC-7A199305C876.jpeg
    6)Ruby or Sapphire. Big lump is just over 1cm
    3F9946AF-BFE4-415B-B66B-6C21C8F957AB.jpeg 6F30BB6C-D4CD-429B-A295-4349EE83A724.jpeg
    Thanks for looking :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The large one in the bottom photo looks like a star sapphire,take it out in the sunlight and you may see the star.

kyratango, Christmasjoy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Great toy, isn't it.:joyful: Pity it is indecisive sometimes.;) We can't say anything definite, just likely options.
    Yes it is.
    It does.
    Either stone can be black.
    Blue is more likely to be spinel.
    Could be emerald.
    I'm with Holly, could be star sapphire.

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

You aren’t usually far off!

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It’s dark at the moment but I will in the morning.
    Looking closely it has a spider web type pattern. I’ve tried to photograph it but can only get the pattern to show under a strong light so just ignore the bright spot!
    2A548D89-1C92-46EA-82EB-D71139EA7F05.jpeg C7DE41CF-9033-4C55-8C3C-239C909255D9.jpeg

kyratango likes this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

As AJ confirmed, almandine a type of garnet. Do the black stones test out of the range for tourmaline (schorl)? Aquamarine is chrysoberyl*; they look like aquamarines to me. Green stones look like chrysoprase. The amethysts speak for themselves. Corundum has a hexagonal crystal structure. Your red stone is the right color for ruby & has that hexagonal divot in it with parallel lines showing around it. I would have to wonder whether lab grown stone.

*See correction below.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  7. Hollyblue

It needs a focused light source,led and fluorescent usually don't work.The spider web is actually the hexagonal crystal structure.

kyratango, Christmasjoy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  8. Hollyblue

Aquamarine is beryl and not chrysoberyl they are 2 different minerals.

9. Bronwen

Sorry, I sit drinking coffee, corrected. Getting a late start & haven't been through my first cup yet. Holly is absolutely correct: aquamarine & emerald are beryl. Chrysoberyl is something else; alexandrite is a variety of chrysoberyl. Still look like aquamarines to me, maybe topaz. :)

10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

So a ruby and a sapphire are basically the same thing -corundum -in a different colour?
    The darker green ones (at 5) or the pale blue ones (at 4)?

kyratango likes this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

No idea. I bought a random bag of stones that someone had pulled out of the surrounds. It had Amber,pearls,cameos,gemstones,glass and plastic in it!

kyratango likes this.
  12. Bronwen

Exactly. And 'fancy sapphire' covers all the other colors this mineral can be.

Amethyst & citrine are the same thing, quartz, different colors. In this case, a lot of what looks like citrine now started life as the much more common amethyst.

The pale blue looks like aqua or light blue topaz.

kyratango and KSW like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Number 4 looks like heat-treated aquamarine or spinel; both have more green in them than irradiated blue topaz does. Number 3 looks like chrysoprase. The black ones could be tourmaline, spinel, or even garnet. Some pyrope garnets look black if they're big enough.

KSW and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted