General Ulysses Grant Framed

Discussion in 'Art' started by Jonrc2323, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Jonrc2323

Jonrc2323 New Member

https://imgur.com/a/qJUn0Hq

I was curious if someone had any info on the US Grant piece. I have searched all over the web without finding another like it. Any information would be appreciated!

I am new to this site btw, and it's very impressive and friendly. Happy I found you all.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Please post your images here. People will not click on an unknown link.

Jonrc2323 and i need help like this.
  3. Jonrc2323

Jonrc2323 New Member

20200322_111606.jpg
    Thank you.

Firemandk and judy like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's a link to an identical portrait on offer by Bauman Rare Books. It's described as an 1864 chromolithographic portrait of Grant by E.C. Middleton.

"Cincinnati engraver Elijah C. Middleton used a unique method of lithography—printing on canvas-backed paper in oil-based inks—to produce color images of unusually high quality that were still affordable."

https://www.baumanrarebooks.com/rar...ramed-portrait-of-ulysses-s-grant/103560.aspx

Yours appears to have suffered some fading.

Debora

103560.jpg

Jonrc2323, anundverkaufen and blooey like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@Debora
    I don't think they are identical.
    I think Jonrc's is at just a slightly different angle with a slightly thinner face.

Welcome to the board Jon
    Sorry, I can't help with your picture.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think you're right. My bad. Head turned at a slightly different angle. Thank you for pointing it out.

Debora

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  7. Jonrc2323

Jonrc2323 New Member

Thank you for the input. I picked it up as a history buff so value is no matter. I love
    Thank you so much for the information. I bought it as a US Grant fan. The history behind it just makes it all the better.

8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

@Jonrc2323 - does yours appear to be a print on paper, or does it have a painted surface? Sometimes artists might apply paint on top of a print or photograph, which might explain the similar-but-not-quite effect between yours and the lithograph @Debora found. I am sure there are enumerable images of Grant produced during the 19th century and since.

Draft saved Draft deleted