Featured Genuine Rolex?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by samuelcaulfield1, Jul 9, 2020.

1. samuelcaulfield1

samuelcaulfield1 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

Would anyone be able to tell me whether or not this is a genuine Rolex? If genuine, what decade, style etc ?

I highly doubt the leather strap is the original as it doesn’t look great quality.
    My father in law to be acquired this in the 80s.

thanks a lot! A7C63B61-EB3E-4713-B763-2002BBD456EE.jpeg 291FC900-1063-4464-9B3F-04CCF78E198C.jpeg 7A46799F-9390-415E-BF39-7C9CE34691DE.jpeg CBBA645D-A47C-46E4-95FF-406A12517273.jpeg DA0FB04C-1B71-4D0A-BE70-0A96CB81194A.jpeg

Attached Files:

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The first thing I look for is the second hand. If it sweeps around instead of jerking every second or so then I look for other things. If it sweeps evenly it is a sign of quality. If it jerks it means it has a fake inside. This was taught to me many years ago by a well known collector.
    greg

Chinoiserie, Happy!, lloyd249 and 7 others like this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Crown of genuine pieces (and fakes too) bear the Rolex logo, although yours may be a replacement. I believe there should be a number engraved on the case between the lugs, but not sure when they started doing that ..this watch appears to be 1960's in style to me but WDIK

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Sure looks genuine. And well worn. Your local ROLEX dealer should be able to confirm.

Debora

5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Not so sure myself. Skeptical.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

crack it open !!!!!

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I remember when fake designer goods arrived on the sidewalks of NYC in the 1980s. The counterfeit Rolexs were the more fashionable, flashy models like this one.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

9. samuelcaulfield1

Thanks for the tips. I will take it down to Rolex!

10. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I have a rolex oyster perpetual that my uncle bought new in the 40's/50's. My dad gave it to me when it stopped working, and I took it to a watchmaker in the 80's who cleaned it and remarked that it was the only real rolex he had seen all year - there were that many fake rolex's saturating the market back then. The only way to tell for sure that you have an authentic watch is to take off the back and examine the movement. Any jeweler/watchmaker can do that, though a rolex dealer would be even better.

That said, your watch does not look authentic to me. The back looks to be a push on back (rolex used a threaded screw on back) and the winder is too thin and skimpy looking, plus other problems. You can see the differences if you compare it to the one kyratango linked to.

Also, I have read that statement about smooth movement of second hand for rolex's, but this is not true for the old oyster perpetuals. It is true that cheaper quartz movements tick once per second, so if your watch is ticking once per second it is clearly not a rolex movement. Most of the really cheap fakes being sold on the street in NYC back then used these cheap quartz movements so that is an adequate test for those. But my uncle's watch ticked four times to move one second - I'm a drummer so this is the kind of thing I noticed.

11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

the words shock resisting sort of bother me too - shock resistant I've seen, but "resisting" not so much ....although I could be mistaken about this too!

Ghopper1924, Chinoiserie and Bronwen like this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Apparently "shock-resisting" is the Rolex nomenclature.

Debora

14957207-5q04132v7bbs9el9rh0mfys6-ExtraLarge.jpg

13. reader

reader Well-Known Member

As I’ve posted before I’ve worn a Rolex consistently since the 70s although the models have varied over the years. I don’t know the older models and for sure I don’t know the non oysters But that piece looks interesting enough to me to get it checked out beside having a correct longer second hand.

Also, again, reminding all that Rolex absolutely has made quartz battery watches.

14. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Thanks Debora! I knew someone would bother to check!

15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

C'est moi.

Debora

16. Svenedin

Svenedin Member

I'm no expert in the vintage Rolex models but this looks like a watch from the 1950's. Looking at your pictures I've no reason from to doubt it is genuine but the only way to be sure is have Rolex look at it. It needs a watchmaker to have a look at the movement and then it will be obvious if it is genuine. Also try one of the watch forums.....There will be a hallmark somewhere too because it will not be gold plated, it will be solid gold. I'd take the strap pins out and look between the lugs of the case (if you have the tool to do this without scratching the case). Bear in mind that collectors of vintage Rolex watches like them in "honest" condition (which yours is).

17. samuelcaulfield1

Sounds encouraging @Svenedin , thanks! I will take your advice guys.

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  18. Svenedin

Svenedin Member

You’re welcome. I have 3 Rolex watches myself but only as far back as the late 60’s and yours is older. The history of Rolex is interesting if you ever care to read about it. The company was actually founded in England in 1905 and subsequently moved to Switzerland In 1920 to escape heavy post WW1 British taxes on luxury goods. Whilst the Rolex Oyster is instantly recognised the world over, Rolex has also made a range of “dress” watches and yours is one of those. When you do get an opinion from Rolex please let us know the outcome.

19. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This is what catches my eye:

upload_2020-7-10_19-37-29.png

Would expect them to take care getting the gold onto the name. And are the raised letters typical?

samuelcaulfield1 and blooey like this.
  20. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Bang on Bronwen. a bit sloppy and fat for genuine Rolex IMO

pop open the back, you'll know for sure

Draft saved Draft deleted