Featured George Adams Footed Bowls

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Daniel G, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Daniel G

Daniel G Well-Known Member

A couple of lovely pieces from that same estate sale that is offering the Irish Cup that I previously posted. These weigh 94 troy ounces for the pair. A little over 50% more melt value than the Thomas Boulton cup but clearly, both offer considerable value beyond this. I cannot see any embellishments or work to these but would like to get your thought on this pair of late 19th century footed bowls. Which would you rather have...the Boulton lidded cup with some refurbishing and embellishment or this George Adams pair of bowls? Trying to prioritize and I am torn.

AFDF7C10-FEFD-4B29-A7C1-D45457887C86.jpeg E48D2F47-7B4E-462C-9B3A-37F4CF39BE66.jpeg

Any Jewelry, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. Daniel G

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Did you come to the Adams conclusion by yourself or is that what the auction firm said in their listing?

judy and Bronwen like this.
  5. Daniel G

Pre-auction listing (not finalized) but after misidentifying the Boulton piece as 20th century, I should have checked hallmarks and cross referenced dates. While I like these bowls, after reviewing the market for Angell, I am leaning toward the Boulton cup, recognizing that the piece isn’t the same as the original.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Depends. If you're collecting, buy what speaks to your soul. For resale, Irish silver is generally more rare, even clobbered.

7. Daniel G

Oddly enough, even though the “clobbered” adversely impacts value, I like the “clobbering” but then again, I am an American.:). I intend to keep my attention on the Boulton cup, especially if it can manage to fly under the radar!

8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I would take these: that's Medusa on the bowls.

upload_2020-2-9_17-28-18.png

Draft saved Draft deleted