George III Silver pot?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Tom Turner, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Tom Turner

Tom Turner New Member

Hi all,

My second post so please be patient. I am trying pinpoint an item I am led to believe is George III however I cannot find anything like it on my searches. I think it may be engraved at a later date. If so does this dramatically devalue the item. I also can't quite see the makers mark however suspect John King. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Tom. The best way to help you figure the age of this pot is to see the marks that should be on it somewhere - most likely underneath.

judy and Debora like this.
  3. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Without seeing the hallmarks, it could be anything from the 1700s to the 2000s and silver plate.

judy likes this.
  4. Tom Turner

Tom Turner New Member

5. Tom Turner

Tom Turner New Member

Hi, and thanks for the response I mistakenly thought I had already uploaded the above. Regards

6. Shangas

London, 1772! Very nice :)

7. Tom Turner

Tom Turner New Member

It would be interesting to get guide on a value?

8. Shangas

Value is whatever anyone will pay for it. Georgian silver can go for almost anything. I've picked up pieces for as little as $20.00, for as much as $600, and for every other price in between.

$20.00 was a 1790s teaspoon/mustard-spoon.

$100 was a table/dinner spoon from 1767.

About $120 each, was what I paid for a pair of silver vinaigrettes.

$80.00 was what I paid for another one.

$600 was for a large silver teapot from 1800.

$200 was for a pap boat.

$350 was for another pap boat.

Your pot could be anywhere within that range. So long as it works, and it isn't broken in some way, it'll be desirable and fetch something, though. That said, I know loads of people who will only pay weight-price for their silver. So if you're selling it, be prepared for someone to give you a ridiculous offer like $50.00 because that's all the silver-weight is worth. It sounds insane, but I do know people who do that.

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, they'll pay $500 for a "rare" video game cartridge they don't even want to play. Go figure, right?

johnnycb09 likes this.
  10. Shangas

Oy. I know. I know. It's stupid.

I had one guy offer me some ridiculously low price for a silver coffee set I had for sale once. I turned him down flat.

"But that's the silver weight!"

Dude, an 18th century snuffbox weighs maybe 50 grams. If silver is say, 50c a gram - are you going to ask him to sell it to you for $30?? He would punch you in the face and tell you to piss off.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  11. Tom Turner

Tom Turner New Member

This pot. I am assuming water pot not coffee pot due to the spout is 28 ozt 870 grams I would never consider the scrap value on such an attractive piece. Its great to have your input.

12. Tom Turner

Tom Turner New Member

OK - so does anyone understand about the handle being leather. My research tells me again that the Victorians molested the original as well as adding their desires on the swags and flowers pattern.

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

fill it with boiling water.....wait 120 seconds.....then try to pick it up without using the handle..........just try it......as long as a burn ward is close by !!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

sterling is great conductor of heat..........;););)

Bakersgma likes this.
  14. Tom Turner

Tom Turner New Member

Haha I am sure that would smart. I was refering more to the fact that this period tended to have raffia layer rather than leather

15. Bakersgma

Raffia? Are you sure you don't mean ivory insulators to shield the handle from the connections to the pot itself?

16. Tom Turner

Tom Turner New Member

17. komokwa

upload_2019-7-6_19-39-44.jpeg

check this out....

18. komokwa

maybe your handle replaced a broken ivory one.?

19. Tom Turner

Tom Turner New Member

Very interesting

20. Bakersgma

I think of raffia as a much less substantial material that what I see on those pots.

But I now wonder when the ivory insulators (just disks of ivory inserted near the top and bottom of the handle - not the whole handle made of ivory) became more common?

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted