Featured George Marshall Pin

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by The Marshall House, Feb 8, 2018.

1. The Marshall House

The Marshall House The home of General George C. Marshall

Hi everyone,

We've found this pin in a drawer in Marshall's bedroom and we don't know what it is or what it means!

It measures an inch in diameter and reads "I GAVE BECAUSE HE GAVE SO MUCH". It is made of metal and has no maker's marks. We've done some preliminary research and nothing has turned up!

The photo they used of Marshall is WWII era but it could have been used while he was Secretary of State/Defense or President of the Red Cross. We're guessing these pins could've been given out if you bought a war bond? Or maybe something to do with the Marshall Plan? Or maybe after you donated blood to the Red Cross?

Any help is appreciated!

IMG_8256.JPG IMG_8257.JPG IMG_8258.JPG

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Blood donor pin? Edit: I'm not so much asking as voting for this choice.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    judy, Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I’d guess Red Cross donor though without a Red Cross present this seems unlikely.
    Perhaps it was a drive to get donors on behalf of the RC.

judy likes this.
  4. Bronwen

For some reason when I looked on line for old Red cross pins given as a token to blood donors I saw almost none with the words I Gave, but remember having seen & had many variations of pins with this on them. Last I knew they were just putting a sticker on you that says it. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw the button, but dismissed until I saw that he had in fact been head of the RC at one time. Without some kind of confirmation, just my speculation.

Wondering in what realm this portrait would have been so well-known that someone seeing it would know who 'he' is & be impressed by how much 'he' gave without a name or symbol to help. Maybe something to do with this?

upload_2018-2-9_0-51-46.png

judy and KingofThings like this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

An Uncle of mine worked for the RC for years but alas, he left us long ago. :(
    I do have his framed yearly pin collection though I don’t recall anything like this.

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"I gave because he gave so much" is a biblical illusion.

Debora

7. Bronwen

I think most of it's an illusion. What does the pin allude to?

8. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I vote for the The Red Cross War Fund ... Joy.

Bronwen and judy like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree with Deborah, it is a biblical allusion.
    'He' gave his life, so it could refer to anything which involves a personal sacrifice. Even a small one.

judy likes this.
  10. Bronwen

Continuing my earlier train of thought about who would have recognized this photo with no other clues, have known who this non-Biblical 'he' was & perceived him as being owed something in return for all he gave, can only think it has to do with the Marshall Plan. Since it is in English, does anyone know if Britain had some campaign, whether for rebuilding funds or blood donors, or whatever, where this image could incite some sense of obligation?

Draft saved Draft deleted