Featured Georgia O'Keeffe

Discussion in 'Art' started by billyd3us, Sep 20, 2018.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

I showed this painting to a man at the swap meet that always buys paintings from me. I found out last week from someone that he is a millionaire retired doctor from Beverly Hills who buys quality art and sends some to auction houses .
    I showed him this watercolor painting on my phone and he wanted to come directly to my house to purchase it for $5,000 without seeing in person. he gave me his number and said to call him before this Saturday because he's flying to New York for 2 weeks and he would like to buy it before he leaves. Not sure what I should do, a few people told me that Georgia o'Keeffe's signatures changed during her art career and she also painted before she died . I am so confused right now, I only see one F at the end but, someone told me it looks like her last works.

Any ideas or advice on this one ?

Thank You 009.JPG 010.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG

2. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Hard to say. I couldn't find a similar signature (doesn't mean it isn't her, I just didn't see one). I also tried to look at her work at large and see similarities/differences. The one element that stands out to me is the bird, it seems her work that i've seen focuses much more on spacial dimension, and the bird just seems out of place comparing it to her work.

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I think we need to be looking for an O'Keefe who painted in this style. The signature is so unlike any example of Georgia's I could find, & I really can't believe that she changed it to the point of leaving out that second F. This also looks like winter near a shore somewhere, not a usual subject for Georgia.

Did find several painting O'Keefe's, but none with style that seemed similar. Your connoisseur knows, or thinks he knows, something we need to figure out.

kyratango, Bakersgma, judy and 4 others like this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

kyratango, Bakersgma, judy and 7 others like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I didn't know Georgia had so much pent up sexuality...! Wow !

Take the 5K for the watercolor.....& don't look back !
    It doesn't even remind me of her work..

aaroncab, BoudiccaJones, judy and 3 others like this.
  6. mmarco102

mmarco102 Well-Known Member

If the man is a regular customer, it is alway better to keep him happy. Sometimes he wins sometimes you win. Auction houses sometimes are duped as well. Be it Georgia or Becky, it would be kind of like stealing from him, if he was the one that sparked your interest by his offer. IMHO

I think it’s Becky O’Keefe(thank you @Pat P) , brush strokes are very simular, (I would even bring this up to your gentlemans attention, loyalty is priceless). You will live to sell another day :)

More value in inviting a millionair to your home and having a honest and great conversation, for a future relationship.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That's not even close to being a Georgia O'Keeffe signature, changes over time notwithstanding. It is a nice painting, however, and if the guy still wants to buy it sight unseen, who are we to stand in his way.

You must have seen the 100 Flowers, no? ;)

8. komokwa

upload_2018-9-21_11-7-18.jpeg

Black hills with cedar..........ya...right !!!
    I stopped after 10 Flowers........& took a cold shower.....;):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::hilarious::hilarious:

9. Bronwen

10. billyd3us

Thanks Bronwen for researching. I am stilled puzzled why the retired Doctor offered me $5,000

judy, mmarco102 and Bronwen like this.
  11. komokwa

ask him !
    he's your repeat customer.....talk to him !!!

12. billyd3us

Hi Marco, yes he is a regular customer I have known for awhile now. Not sure why he thinks it's by Georgia though, if not by her I won't take his $5,000. He is a good man and friendly, great to have him as a friend one day.

13. billyd3us

I will, Thanks

judy and mmarco102 like this.
  14. billyd3us

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Bronwen

Are you sure he thinks it's by Georgia O'K?

judy and mmarco102 like this.
  16. billyd3us

He liked it very much when I showed it to him on my phone. He said the top edge is similar to her works, though he wasn't 100% sure he said.

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Bronwen

The top edge as in your third photo?

18. billyd3us

Yes, that is what he was referring to.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted