Georgian candlestick

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Martyn I F Price, Aug 12, 2020.

1. This is interesting. I have what appears to be It a marriage as they don't screw together perfectly. The stick itself has some age and nicely worn. The base is rough underneath which may suggest a later date. Can anyone suggest that candlesticks of genuine Georgian origin did sometimes have rough under bases? It may be that the top section is genuine Georgian and the base later. I'm having problems posting pictures. The candlestick has a brass petal base and the stick is slender with ovoid basal knop, square mid knop and canon shape nozzle. About 5 inch tall with solid top section cast in one piece with separate screwed on base.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. Many thanks. I will take a look and play around with it. My phone's memory is not that good and doesn't cope well with images unfortunately

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Am image of the stick in question

5. The base into which the stem screws. It has been left rough cast. The style of this stick suggests 1740s but ,if it is Georgian and original, as it seems to be cast in one piece and not joined in two halves with a seem down the sides it may be c 1780 - 1800 ? Would be interested to know what others think