Georgian(?) cut (ouch!) glass fruit plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Miscstuff, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

These were listed at the auction as "Eleven early 19th century cut decorated edged fruit plates" and getting bored waiting for the "House of Commons" bookends I spent a whopping $20 on them. Soon found out why nobody else bid as they were all chipped to some degree but I thought it could be interesting to see what made the auctioneers think they were early 19th century. The cut/ground decorations seem to all have been by hand as there are significant dimensional differences on all the cuts around the plate. The thickness varies from 2.5mm to 3.5mm from side to side and there are quite deep scratches on the bottom that would seem to indicate a soft type of glass used. Some design genius thought it would be a good idea to cut three grooves in the middle of each outside pattern and do it at an angle sharp enough to be a scalpel if needed. You really have to be careful picking these up as there clearly wasn't any occupational, health and safety considerations when these were made. I would be interested to hear from the glass experts about the validity of the"early 19th century" description.
    Data 18cm dia, 2.5cm High, 0.26Kg
    Cheers
    Stephen

PICT0028.JPG PICT0032.JPG PICT0033.JPG PICT0036.JPG

Joan likes this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I like this kind of stuff, love old wheel cut pieces, no matter how sharp! I think the castellated cuts like this are a bit later 19thc, I wouldn't necessarily describe them as early 19thc, but they are 19thc for sure.

3. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Back in May 2019 I posted a rectangular glass tray with cuts around the top edge similar to Miscstuff's fruit plates, but didn't get any responses to my questions (I'm not a glass collector, and only bought it because it was so unusual). So this is the first time I've seen a glass dish with similar cuts posted on this forum, and the first time I've seen the terms "wheel cut pieces" and "castellated cuts" so I appreciate learning something new.

Anyway, last year I did more online research and it seems that type of castellated cut edge was done as early as the mid-1700s and into the 1800s, but as I mentioned, I'm not a glass expert, so I'm just providing some links to examples of sweetmeat dishes that I found online.

The Corning Museum of Glass has a set of "Sweetmeat Dishes circa 1760-1780" with what looks to me like a castellated cut edge: https://www.cmog.org/artwork/4-sweetmeat-dishes.

There's also an "Antique Irish Glass Pedestal Stem Dry Sweetmeat c1785" at https://scottishantiques.com/georgian-wine-glasses/pedestal-stem/cork-glass#.VgsL6c5Cm-4

And there's a "19th Century Cut Glass English Sweetmeat Dish" on rubylane very similar to Miscstuff's: https://www.rubylane.com/item/74189...7l8Sryy_rFMHleprpI-tHip1F6aCbfKhoC_18QAvD_BwE

Last year on eBay there was a listing for a cut glass dish titled, "Antique Early Anglo-Irish Decorated Cut Glass Sweetmeat Dish 1800-1820" with castellated cuts around the top edge and an asking price of $265 (I don't know if it sold). I have a copy of one of the photos, but don't know if I'm allowed to post it).

anundverkaufen likes this.
  4. Miscstuff

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    Joan likes this.
  5. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Interesting information, thank you. I'm wondering which, if any, of those terms might apply to my tray.
    GlassTray-a.jpg

6. Miscstuff

I'd go for a "modified castellated" pattern.:)

Joan likes this.
  7. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Sounds good -- thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted