Featured Georgian-era Brass Naval Telescope - Ca. 1830-1840 (?)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Shangas, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

This is quite possibly the oldest telescope I've bought so far...and the most expensive. I doubt I'll be buying another one anytime soon!!

[​IMG]

I know almost nothing about it, but I have sent photographs of it to a guy I know, who has a MASSIVE GIGANTIC collection of telescopes, and hopefully he can help out.

Anyway...

Dates from the first half of the 19th century. Somewhere between 1800-1850. Its overall construction is of a much older style than most telescopes I've seen. Also, it's larger, and has fewer draw-tubes (two instead of the more standard three or four). The way the lenses are fitted in is also suggestive of older manufacturing techniques.

The sliding lens-shutters are almost always found only on older telescopes, and they can be unscrewed or slid off for full access to the lenses.

I had to clean this EXTENSIVELY before it would work to my satisfaction. The main draw-tube has a number of small dinks and dints in it, and I'm wondering how I might remove those. I fancy myself quite good at removing dents, but these have me flummoxed!

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Is it just me or are others not seeing a picture in that big white space? :(

KingofThings likes this.
  3. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I see it. must be just you lol

Aquitaine, KingofThings and lloyd249 like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Happens to me all the time. It's because the pic is so big, your computer simply won't bother. Right click on the space and you'll get a view picture option that will send you to a new screen dedicated to showing only the picture. You'll have to backtrack to get back here.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Restarted the computer and that solved the problem. It must have thought I was up too early. ;)

judy, LIbraryLady, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  6. Shangas

Glad you can all see the telescope. I'm wondering how to remove the dents in the main draw-tube.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    If you can get the tube off, put a round steel bar inside and bang away at the dent. Brass is soft enough it should flatten out on the steel bar.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Shangas

Removing the tube is the easy it. Trying to reach in to beat the dents out is the hard bit! I haven't figure out how to do it. The tube isn't a full on cylinder. It's open at one end, and at the other, it's got a disc on it, with a hole in the middle (through which light passes for the lenses). So it's like - open at one end, and a doughnut at the other. If it was just full-on open at each end, then yes a steel rod might work...

KingofThings likes this.
  9. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  10. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Try long spoons, both ends, and rub them inside the tube with pressure to make some heat at the ding.
    Even butter knife handles may work.
    Or...make friends with the local guy who gets dents out of cars. He'll have a set of tools in many shapes.
    If you have some utensils you can reshape for such tools you'll have them forever for such uses.
    Also check the local auto body supply shop and even NAPA or possibly other auto parts stores for such tools.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  11. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I am surprised there is no maker's name. It would be typical of the period and usually found on the smallest tube

KingofThings likes this.
  12. Shangas

No, Sorry AF. No engravings anywhere. I've checked the entire thing, as usual.

I have a cylindrical, wooden club/baton which is almost the size of the tube, and it's long enough to comfortably fit inside. I was suggested by one guy to immerse the tube in hot boiling water to heat up the brass, and then press the dents out from the inside using the baton, on a hard, flat, smooth surface. I think I can do that easily without damaging the brass or anything else.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Shangas, If I didn't know my brother better (on Cape Cod, MA), I'd say he sold our grandfather's telescope and you wound up with it!!!! That SO looks exactly like it!! Except for the dents, I think!!!! NIIIIIIICE!!!! Best of luck getting it 'ship shape', which I'm sure you will!!!:):):)

14. Shangas

Well you're not getting it back!! :eek:

And I'll do my best...

Draft saved Draft deleted