Featured Georgian gold ring with MP and NO hallmark, Please help identify the hallmark

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Hello again,
    I bought this ring in an auction recently as " Georgian gold ring with blue stone, possible French".
    There are 2 hallmarks on it one reads MP and the other NO.
    Is it realy Gorgian? And is it French made? What time period?
    The stone in the auction photos was dark blue, but in reality, it is grey/blue on the service and navy blue under, it has two colours. It is not see through, light does not travel through the stone.Can anyone identify the stone name.
    Is it a female or male ring?
    Finnally, what happens to the metal at the back of the ring, it looks as of it has cracks.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona
    @Any Jewelry @Bronwen @Fid @komokwa 20210305_160233.jpg 20210305_160259.jpg 20210305_160406.jpg 20210305_160423.jpg Screenshot_20210305-171328_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210305-171341_Gallery.jpg

johnnycb09, Bronwen, KSW and 2 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not a Georgian setting to my eye. That back worries me: almost looks like worn plating. NO might be Norway.

Bronwen, KSW and Aquitaine like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, not Georgian with that very open back of the setting. Very nice ring though.
    It is a man's signet ring waiting to be engraved imo.

4. Ownedbybear

Agreed, it's missing the carving. I'd wear it.

johnnycb09, Bronwen and KSW like this.
  5. Simona Buhus

Thank you for your response. Any ideea of the age? And does the letters MP or NO say anything?
    I am wondering if the description is not as what the auction mentioned, would it be ethical to ask to return it?
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

kyratango, Bronwen, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

You'd be absolutely entitled to return it. If you like it and it wasn't expensive, then maybe keep it, but it isn't Georgian.

kyratango, Bronwen, KSW and 2 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

It would be ethical, you have every right to. But as obb said, if you like it and liked the price as well, you could keep it.

kyratango, Bronwen, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Also agree it doesn't look Georgian, perhaps more likely late 19th century. The lines in the band may be from it being reshaped after being badly deformed. The stone is almost certainly an agate, you engrave through the top colour with your design and it can be used as a small seal.

Was it an online auction ie ebay etc, or a bricks & mortar auction house? It is probably different elsewhere, but in the UK auctions aren't subject to usual retail rules so they don't have to accept returns. I'd be interested to know if it is different elsewhere.

Bronwen, komokwa and Simona Buhus like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

They have to accept returns if a thing is badly misrepresented.

https://www.inbrief.co.uk/consumer-law/buying-at-auction/

"However, if the item being auctioned is second hand, and you can buy the item at the auction in person, these legal rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 do not apply. Instead, the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (SGA) will still apply. Under the SGA, the item must match its description, be of satisfactory quality, and fit for purpose. If the item fails any of those standards, you have the legal right to return it for a repair, replacement or refund. However, the rights and remedies available under the SGA are more limited than under the 2015 Act."

CCR applies if its not in person.

Bronwen and KSW like this.
  10. Simona Buhus

It was expensive, and would have expected the auction house to give some correct information. I don't know if I should go and test it to see if it is gold plated or not.
    I bought it as an investment, I like it as well, but I am not going to ware it.
    A bit disaponted I guess... am learning, but this was an expensive bet.
    Most auction houses I bought from, they got at least the metal right.
    Thank you very much for giving your opinion.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

11. Simona Buhus

It was from an Auction house in the UK, I have to check the name as I bought several items from diffrent auctions in the same day.
    Maybe I will test it first and see if it's plated, because if it is , most likely I have over over paid.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

Bronwen, KSW and komokwa like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Depends on the auctioneer. Many just parrot what the seller (last owner) says.:(
    For what it's worth, it looks good quality, and it probably really is gold.

Bronwen, KSW and komokwa like this.
  13. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yes, the way they seem to try and get around this is by saying the item is available for you to inspect, and if you don't do so it's on you. It's also why most of them have T&C's which say the only thing they warrant is the title - and hence titles are ridiculously vague. Some auction houses conditions of sale are very eyebrow raising.

I get around it by being a regular so the auction house wouldn't want to lose my business over an item I take exception to, but I do hear lots of cases of people being stiffed by them. IMO as auction houses are very keen to play retailer online these days they should have to abide by the same rules as a normal retail outift.

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  14. Simona Buhus

The description attached from the website. 20210305_184638.jpg

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  15. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I have noticed that with the lockdown and being unable to inspect items some auction houses have become even worse with honesty of condition reports and descriptions. One set of reports I had last week said 'Good condition' for everything I asked about, and that certainly wasn't near anywhere true.

Did you ask for a condition report? As you couldn't inspect in person I think it would certainly be fair to ask to return it if you are not happy.

Bronwen likes this.
  16. Simona Buhus

17. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Agree does look gold. It does look very worn though, and considering how worn the shoulders and shank are the agate looks remarkably unscathed.

18. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Looks like rolled gold and has had a couple repairs.

Bronwen likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

It could be a replacement. The one with the crest taken out and kept by the family, a blank stone put in.

20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

lines in the band may be from it being reshaped after being badly deformed.....

I beg to differ, as those are the same stress fractures I had on my 14 K ring, after years of wear. Rings start out round but over time , with wear and tear they can flatten , molding to your palm from grabbing hard items and the pressure of that can cause the metal to shear and show minor split lines as seen above..IMO

Draft saved Draft deleted