Featured Gerbing & Stephan stamped 1859, a few questions

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Am I correct this is a Gerbing & Stephan mark? Assuming this was made in 1859, based on the stamp. Just over 10 inches tall.

I've seen some of these described as "Majolica". Could use a few keywords. Thanks!

g1.jpg g1bb.jpg gex.jpg

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

komokwa likes this.
  3. Lucille.b

Thanks, SIS! I had not seen that link with the marks. It seems to date it from 1861-1900 based on the G & St stamp, but none of the marks had the 1859 date as this one does, but does give me a ballpark age.

Wondering if anyone can make heads or tales out of the scene depicted. If you look at the photo of the handle does it read 1596? Almost like it is commemorating something.

Here is the panel all the way around. Seems like the word "dance" is in there. Any other words you can make out? Thanks!

g2.jpg g2b.jpg g2d.jpg acd.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I don't think 1859 is for the date. On that page of their marks, it shows several marks with 4 digit numbers. I think 1859 is either a model number or inventory number. So far I can't tell you anything about the meaning of this jug. I couldn't find anything significant with 1596 is association with Germany. Now 1596 is a significant date for the Netherlands. It was the year of the Triple Alliance. The Triple Alliance were England, France and the Republic of The Seven United Netherlands. They joined in war against Spain. By signing the Alliance, England and France were the 1st countries to recognize the Netherlands as an independent state. Some of the words could be Dutch or German. Just a thought, wonder if this jug could be commenorating the 300 anniversary (1896) of the Netherlands being recognized as an independent state. I really doubt this because I don't think they were officially recognized until after the 80 Year War (1568-1648). I believe they consider The Act of Abjuration (1581) as their Declaration of Independance and The Peace of Munster (1648) between the Dutch Republic & Spain that declared the United Netherlands independent of the Spanish Crown.

--- Susan

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Incredible research skills once again, Susan. Cannot believe you found that. Thank you.

And a hearty thanks to SIS for the "Raeren" search word.

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

No problem, I've loved the early Raeren jugs for years:)

Draft saved Draft deleted