German Artillery Translation

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Mario, Jan 15, 2022.

1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Can somebody translate this for me please, my German is real rusty like, nil. Thanks in advance. cannon5.jpg cannon4.jpg cannon3.jpg cannon2.jpg cannon1.jpg

2. Not sure if my first response posted so trying again. I am german not hard to read....for more detail translation you can email me direct. Basically it's providing directions on how to assemble this in the field based on things as body strength, height and even shoe size of the soldier assigned to use.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

just in case you have problems with the quality of the pics you can also look at it online when you register there.
    https://uzb.swisscovery.slsp.ch/dis...ZB:UZB&docid=alma990054231460205508&context=L

4. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Shoe size?

5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the stops for the wheels.

6. Darkwing Manor

Feet?

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

where do you see feet ?

8. Darkwing Manor

The instructions mention the shoe size of the soldiers manning the guns, as if it matters. I question why.

9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

leave our new German friend a bit of time, please. might be a misreading. possibly picture 2 from top, number 5.
    or ask Spring if he's around.

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    dat is a Stopschuh, eg...

komokwa likes this.
  11. Frank_138

Frank_138 Member

Ein Stük samt seiner Zugehörd ins Feld zustellen

todays German:
    Ein Stück (eine Kanone) mit seinem Zubehör ins Feld zu stellen

Google translation:
    To field a piece (a cannon) with its accessories

To translate that is quite a task. That is very old fashioned German.

Basically it is an instruction to prepare and operate the gun.

Shoes are mentioned in the context of the length of the stick where you attach the fuse/burning rope to fire the gun (fig. 6). The ignition stick should be 3 to 4 shoes (Schuhe) long.They are using shoes (Schuhe) as measurement like foot/feet are used in the imperial system.

Anyways, a full translation would take at least one or two hours - if a full readable original is provided.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
    Fid likes this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

as the document comes from the Constaffel - a still existing society in Zurich founded in 1366 the foot is probably 30 centimeters only.
    https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuß_(Einheit)

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constaffel

I'm not seeing any use of a total free translation, because most people here are completely missing any historical knowledge of the society, the social structure of towns in the Middle Ages etc.. especially in Central Europe.
    if by chance it would be an original print, then it should anyway be looked at and translated by historians and the value for reselling would be important enough to get that done by renowned university institutions.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted