German carved wood / painted sign "Streut Blumen..."

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by UncleChuckTX, Nov 6, 2016.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm not sure if this is an antique (or anywhere close to being that old), but it looks like most wood items are being discussed in this forum. This sign / wall hanging is approx 2' wide and a little over 1' tall.

Is this most likely tourist ware (a Black Forest or other German souvenir, for example)? The carving and painting are both nice, but it's a bit scuffed up. Is there anything simple I could do to minimize the appearance of the scratches? There is water staining on the back, and I'm going to leave that side as-is.

FYI - if, like me, you don't speak German - it appears that the inscription is a common German expression. Google translated it, "Streut Blumen der Liebe bei Lebenszeit Und bewahret einander vor Herzeleid," to technically mean "Spread flowers of love at lifetime and preserve each other from heartbreak."

I've never picked up anything like this before - just curious if I could find out anything about its probable origins. Hope everyone had a good weekend!

IMG_9438.JPG
    IMG_9439.JPG
    IMG_9440.JPG
    IMG_9441.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    A good quality paste shoe polish would clean it up and protect it.
    greg

KingofThings likes this.
  3. UncleChuckTX

Thanks Greg. Like, find a polish that closely matches the wood color? If it were all shellacked / glossy like the outside edge, it would be easy to repair the topcoat.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Howard's Restor-a-finish is a good product. Comes in different tints to hide the scratches.
    They also have a Feed & Wax. It's a liquid beeswax.

Be careful with the paste wax as you have carved details. You don't want to get the wax built up in the crevices.

KingofThings likes this.
  5. UncleChuckTX

Thanks, Pat. I've seen Howard's for sale in several shops, but never looked into it since I don't usually deal in furniture or wood products. Now I'm thinking about all the scratched tabletops I have around the house, and how handy it could be. :D

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Nice!

Draft saved Draft deleted