Featured German exquisite brooch, please help identify how old

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

20201206_232121.jpg 20201206_232231.jpg 20201206_232357.jpg 20201206_232121.jpg 20201206_232231.jpg 20201206_232357.jpg 20201206_232443.jpg 20201206_232503.jpg 20201206_232121.jpg 20201206_232231.jpg
    Hi all,
    I would like to ask for your opinion on the attached brooch, I am completely new to this field, would like to develop it into a hobby.
    It has a marking on the needle " Made in Baden", which I did some research and it's in Gernany. Also it has another hallmark, but it's not visible.
    I tested it and it's not gold, possible gold plated, and the stone is not diamond. The central stone has a diffrent cut to a dimond, more of a round shape. Please let me know what you think of it.
    Please can you advise on how old it is, was it worn by gents or ladies, what is the style ( motif) the flower ends and the center around the stone. Also, if you are allowed, what value, is it a collectable item.It looks amazing, I have a feeling it was worn by gents.
    Also, could anyone advise on some books or websites I could start on learning about vintage jewellery.
    Thank you all so much.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Lovely pictures. Could you please go back and edit your post and at the top of your photos click on Insert Full image This will make it easier for members to scroll through your photos.

KSW and judy like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Photos too small and too much light reflection to see the stone. Diamonds and other stones come in many shapes and facet designs,I think there is over 5,000 published designs.

judy likes this.
  4. Simona Buhus

Hi,
    I have tried following your instruction, I hope that everyone can see the photos now. I am new on this site, I would have to learn how to operate it. Thank you for your guidance.

Would anyone like to give an opinion on the brooch age and style.
    Also, I have tested the central stone, it is not a diamond.
    Thank you.

Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. Simona Buhus

View attachment 295615 View attachment 295617 View attachment 295619 View attachment 295620 View attachment 295614 View attachment 295615
    Hi all,
    I would like to ask for your opinion on the attached brooch, I am completely new to this field, would like to develop it into a hobby.
    It has a marking on the needle " Made in Baden", which I did some research and it's in Gernany. Also it has another hallmark, but it's not visible.
    I tested it and it's not gold, possible gold plated, and the stone is not diamond. The central stone has a diffrent cut to a dimond, more of a round shape. Please let me know what you think of it.
    Please can you advise on how old it is, was it worn by gents or ladies, what is the style ( motif) the flower ends and the center around the stone. Also, if you are allowed, what value, is it a collectable item.It looks amazing, I have a feeling it was worn by gents.
    Also, could anyone advise on some books or websites I could start on learning about vintage jewellery.
    Thank you all so much.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

@komokwa
    Hi,
    I would appreciate your take on this brooch, your reply is much appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

komokwa and judy like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well , thank you...but the jewelry gals here are much smarter than I !!! :(:(

That said....your new pics are not showing.....so try again like u did in the 1st post above !!!
    :):inpain::):)

judy likes this.
  7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The "new" photos look like the originals in the first post,too bright lighting and not in focus.

judy likes this.
  8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The back of that is typically 1920s into early 30s.

bluumz, Figtree3, Fid and 2 others like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Simona.
    I'm with the others, 1920s.
    It is not terribly collectable, but many people prefer older jewellery because of the sense of history. Since it isn't gold and diamond there is no great monetary value, but it is very pretty.
    The photos are too bright, but it looks like the 'stone' could be mounted millegriffe, which is a sign of quality.

Although bar brooches look great on a gent's cravatte, most bar brooches were worn by women. On or just under the collar of high fitting blouses, on silk shawls worn in the open collar of a blouse, or even on a lapel.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  11. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Very nice. Most new people struggle with the photos at first. But you got it pretty quickly. Good job.

Simona Buhus likes this.
  12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

but only till 1933. then the Baden mark, which could have also been for the Democratic Republic of Baden (the good influence of the southern neighbour :)) was obsolete.

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, absolutely agree, fid.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  14. Simona Buhus

Thank you all so much, I am already learning so much.
    Thank you @Any Jewelry and @Fid
    Please recommend me few books for beginners.
    Kind regards,
    Simona
    20201206_232121.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

16. MaJa

MaJa Active Member

Baden was an independent state within Germany/the German Empire and is now a part of the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baden

Baden-Baden is a spa town in Baden.
    The brooch could have been made in Pforzheim which is a town in Baden and still is a center of the jewelry industry in Germany.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted