German Map: Sud Africa; Missionary Couples, Mr. Campells Journey

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by wlwhittier, Jun 20, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

This is from the same batch of German 19th? C maps as Sierra Leone, yesterday. The sentence above Englische Meilen translates to This line shows Mr. Campell's journey.

Perhaps a fairly significant record of early Christian history in South Africa...and who was Mr Campell?

There are no extra-border engravers notes, and tho' I haven't searched the entire map, no obvious dates.

Under the coin in the upper right corner is Delagoa Bay...it has probably been renamed, but I'm gonna see what Google Earth has to show there.

Edit: Maputo, Capitol city of Mozambique, is on Delagoa Bay.

Thanks for lookin'...and for your erudite commentary!

fullsizeoutput_968e.jpeg fullsizeoutput_968f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_968d.jpeg fullsizeoutput_968c.jpeg fullsizeoutput_968b.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I suspect the journey was the visit mentioned in this link

Campbell is a small town situated on the edge of the Ghaap Plateau in the Northern Cape province of South Africa. It is located 48 km east of Griquatown. It was originally known as Knovel Valley and then Groote Fontein, but was renamed in honour of the Reverend John Campbell who visited the Cape Colony in 1813.Wikipedia

moreotherstuff and wlwhittier like this.
  3. wlwhittier

Once again: Spot ON!
    Thanks, BGM...Nicely done!

4. Bakersgma

You're welcome!

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

6. Bakersgma

The Rev. John Campbell is mentioned in the link I posted above.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I thought I read it. Apparently not. Sorry.

8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Is this map the same size as your previous post? (Could they have come from the same book?)

9. wlwhittier

Yep, roughly the same size. And, due to both of them being about Africa, there's a good chance they are from the same volume.
    However, as in many older books with large illustrations, their size isn't limited by page size; these two maps show fold creases, and I strongly suspect they may have been tipped-in along a short linear portion of an edge, and so occupied a smaller published 'footprint' within the volume than their full, opened size. Alternatively, some books included paper pouches or pockets to contain such auxilliary maps, etc.

Other maps I will subsequently show in this forum, of roughly the same age and of Africa & other parts of the globe, are similarly creased.

Draft saved Draft deleted