German? porcelain mark, blue and white with s and crossed mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by say_it_slowly, Jul 5, 2016.

1. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I picked up this little vase just 3½" high. It's hand painted underglaze blue and is marked in underglaze blue on the base with what appears to be an "S" a crossed "X" and another line of some sort (axe?). I've not found this mark and of course it could be spurious but thought I'd ask if anyone knows it.
    upload_2016-7-5_20-42-22.png
    upload_2016-7-5_20-44-24.png

judy and lauragarnet like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Possibly A.W.Fr. Krister of Scheibe-Alsbach, a company in business from 1905-72. Less likely Brenner & Liebmann / E. Liebmann of Schney (1887-1923). Check the Porcelain Marks and More site.

Looks like a variant of the Blue Onion pattern.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  3. say_it_slowly

Were you thinking the Kister mark like this? I'd seen this one there but I wasn't sure it was similar enough but maybe they did use another version more separated out like mine. I did also browse through Rontgen and Kovel's too but wasn't sure I found anything there either at least not a dead ringer.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Rontgen shows a couple of variations on the mark (not yours specifically). It's a hand painted mark, so who knows how many variations there may be. It's the shape of the "S", with the cross bar at top and the tail on the bottom, which is most promising to my eye.

5. say_it_slowly

I agree about the look of the "S". I'll do some more looking. Thanks for your thoughts:)

Draft saved Draft deleted