German Sword

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by jingyel, Aug 11, 2020.

1. jingyel

jingyel Well-Known Member

Hello, I found limited photo for this sword. Any idea of age or authenticity about this sword? 611623830_fl.jpg 611623834_fl.jpg 611623838_fl.jpg

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

3. jingyel

agree. I didn't took the photo.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I tried to tweak it a bit, still out of focus, but maybe someone recognizes the mark by the shapes.

upload_2020-8-12_11-7-16.jpeg

5. Not sure. May be WKC Weyersburg, Kirscbaum & co Solngen. Not that clear though. I think that they used a squirrel as a trade mark

komokwa likes this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

7. Yes. Sorry I got mixed up. wKC would be with a knights head

8. jingyel

I just bought the sword. Now we have all the clear views. Please feast your eyes. for some reason the tip is sharpen probably broken?
    Another interesting feature is the foldable decoration guard. IMG_1224.jpg IMG_1219.jpg IMG_1211.jpg IMG_1223.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. jingyel

10. jingyel

total length is bout 33". I wonder what is the standard length. Does this piece still have collectible value just as an original sample?

11. jingyel

it is WKC.

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I'd give it back. no value.
    shortened blades were found with some bayonet types, but those were properly shortened by the armory.

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like dress sword...not for fighting..

14. I like it. I'd stick it on the wall providing it wasn't expensive (then I'd take it back) . Looks like cavalry officer's sword? Fold back guard to protect uniform and keep it flush against your side. I have a battered 1796 British officers sword with a fold back guard and it is flimsy (this was one off is design flaws) and it was a standard issue field sword. It hangs on my wall and would date to 1796 - 1822. I paid ten pound for it in a junk shop. Your German sword is later (late 19th to early 20th century pre 1918) but still interesting. I will look in my books and see if I can find it for you.

15. It's an 1889 pattern cavalry officer's sword

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. The Model 1889 German cavalry sword was to remain in service through WWI. As with most cavalry of the major armies of the era, the sword is designed as a thrusting weapon.

17. Although my 1796 isn't in best of condition, like yours I like to imagine who's it was, where he went and what the sword was involved in. My sword, being Napoleonic, may have experienced a few skirmishes during the Napoleonic wars and the owner managed to survive and get back to England. It may have been found in France after being left behind or it may have been worn by an officer who never saw action based in Britain. We will never know but this is what fascinates me and keeps history alive. Your sword was most likely used in the first world war and captured. Providing it's not a rip off price it's still a piece of history.

Draft saved Draft deleted