German Woodcut

Discussion in 'Art' started by dude, Feb 24, 2020.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I believe this is a woodcut that translates in English to "red poppies" by German still life artist Artist Anna Sophie Gasteiger (1878-1954). Found something identical here: https://www.invaluable.com/artist/gasteiger-anna-sophie-xm71encsxc/

Anyone know how much they sell for and does mine look like a woodcut to you or some other medium? How can I tell for sure? Sorry they're not the best pics. It's hard to photograph behind glass without getting myself in the pic from the reflections.

- IMG_20200224_023934.jpg IMG_20200224_024206.jpg IMG_20200224_024203.jpg IMG_20200224_024130.jpg IMG_20200224_023947.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    judy likes this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

3. dude

dude Well-Known Member

4. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Hard to tell but from your grainy close up it looks like a reproduction.

dude and Houseful like this.
  5. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Check for dots with a magnifying glass, if you see dots then it’s a print.
    Always helpful to see the backs of anything.

dude and Debora like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

At a glance, I would think a print. But could be wrong.

Debora

dude likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Inexpensively framed. And oil paintings typically not behind glass. Think it needs to be removed and examined. As above, I would think an inexpensive, decorative reproduction but, of course, I could be wrong.

Debora

dude and Houseful like this.
  8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Not a woodcut.

Houseful, dude and Bakersgma like this.
  9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks like the original oil painting sold in Munich in 2009 so, unless you have that exact painting, yours would be a print. Would have to be some kind of photo-mechanical reproduction since it reproduces the brush-strokes.

Houseful and dude like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The ebay listing is clearly a print of the same painting. Think yours to be the same or similar. Their listing price is ambitious to say the least. Would think an unframed print as such to be worth very little.

Houseful, dude and Fid like this.
  11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Agree with blooey. I see no resemblance whatsoever to a "woodcut."

dude and blooey like this.
  12. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I stuck it in the cheap frame, which I sealed, a while back. It was loose when I bought it from a thrift store. I'll remove it from the frame this upcoming weekend and have a closer look. If I don't see dots under magnification, I'll post more pics. Guessing print, though, based on what everyone has said. Thanks, all!

Houseful likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted