German WWII(?) Lockbox, "Schwarzkopf"

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by CluelessFarmBoy, Aug 24, 2021.

1. CluelessFarmBoy

CluelessFarmBoy Active Member

kmc_20210824_092423.jpg kmc_20210824_092419.jpg kmc_20210824_092415.jpg kmc_20210824_092412.jpg Hey all again, now that the faux SS Stahlhelm is out of the way, let's take a look at this nifty lockable metal field box that appears to be WWII era with the German word "Schwarzkopf" which translates to "black head" stenciled on the top, I do not have the key but it is not locked. The handle I presume is leather with a metal core. It looks as though it has been painted and repainted, it also appears that there was previous english lettering below the stenciled German. The inside is compartmented and one of the small compartments has a raised "floor" but does not appear to have access to the empty space beneath the compartment. I have done no research at all besides the translation and that is what I will base my assumptions on when I say that I believe this to be a medical field kit if authentic or a repurposed flare gun box if not authentic. One thing I did notice is that the lock says "push" in English. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2021
    Houseful likes this.
  2. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

I suspect that the stenciling is simply the surname of the owner of the box. Not everyone named Schwarzkopf lived in Germany. The box might have no connection at all to that country other than the distant ancestry of the owner. Example, General H. Norman Schwarzkopf Jr. ("Stormin' Norman"), born 1934 in New Jersey USA.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

It's got a beautiful natural, usage/age, patina.

CluelessFarmBoy likes this.
  4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

looks like a box made for a specific tool. The raised area just allowed it to sit flat.The lock may not mean it was of value but maybe just to keep it from falling open by accident. Does not resemble in flare gun kits old or new that I found on the internet.

5. CluelessFarmBoy

Very good input from everyone so far, a
    specific tool, yes but what tool, hmmm...... apparently, upon further digging, "Schwarzkopf" is actually the brand name of a very successful 120+ year old Shampoo and cosmetics company....maybe it was a traveling shampoo salesman sample/demo kit?

6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Need dimensions

7. CluelessFarmBoy

Coming right up

8. CluelessFarmBoy

Well....It appears that my measurements didn't post....sorry about that, I posted them right after I said coming right up but apparently it didn't post for some reason so I will just post them again
    13 X 8.25 X 3.25

9. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Thx, I’ll assume the units are inches? I’m pretty sure if you were using metric you would have so stated.

This is very likely the box for a vintage electric drill kit. The oblong compartment is where the cord is faked down, with a slot for cord to pass to the drill body. The smaller compartment held a box of drill bits. The stencil-applied name isn’t related to the original condition of the box, it was applied by a subsequent owner.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Schwarzkopf_Sr.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    smallaxe and all_fakes like this.
  10. CluelessFarmBoy

Ahh that does make sense as the estate I picked this up from had lots of tools and toolboxes so that fall in line with what you say.

Draft saved Draft deleted