Germany wall plate mountains water trees crown mark Need help ID manufacturer

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mugzinnys, May 9, 2019.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

these plates are 9 3/8" diameter has a crown and what loos like a ship's wheel. Checked all the crowns at Kovel's with no luck and no luck with googles. the mark says under glaze and hand painted/ 20190509_103816.jpg 20190509_110345.jpg 20190509_110425.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Not a clue, but, warm and mellow, soothing colors! It's nice!!

Mugzinnys and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

clearer pic of mark needed.
    have my doubts that it's German. why would they mark "underglass" in English ?

Mugzinnys likes this.
  4. Mugzinnys

Here are more images of the mark 20190510_102935.jpg 20190510_102938.jpg 20190510_103012.jpg 20190510_103014.jpg

Fid likes this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

aaah, I see. it says Unterglasur. can't decipher the second line yet.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Hand painted under glaze. These were made for export, so they marked them in English. No idea who.

7. Mugzinnys

That explains why they mark in in English I think it says underglaze Hand Painted

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

but in this style only for the cheapest of post-war products. or do you think Meissen or any other brand of good standing would have done such an atrocity ?

Mugzinnys likes this.
  9. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall Well-Known Member

Reads "Underglaze" and "Handpainted". Producer was E.&A. Müller from the city of Schönwald in Bavaria; mark was used between 1909 and 1927.

10. Mugzinnys

Chris wow I was going to put them in the unsolved bin.

Aquitaine, Jaena and judy like this.
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

good to know, but a short research on German sites shows no to marginal interest even if offered for little money. probably a bread and butter factory that also offered whites for amateur painters.

12. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall Well-Known Member

In times where even former high-sellers sell for peanuts I would think there is nothing else to expect. Various factors: many people are sick and tired of generic "Gebrüder Winterling"-like stuff, interest has shifted to more "hard-to-find" companies with low profile and certain design aspects.

Not forgetting that people are sick of scams, misrepresentations, ad- or spam-infested sites like feepay that don't show what you are looking for anymore, uneducated sellers, or broken deliveries and have therefore started to buy on-floor again.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I don't see that at all in France, but it might be elsewhere.
    it's certainly nice to know by whom the items are, but that doesn't mean the value and interest increase IMO, especially with such stuff as here - middle of the road, nothing outstanding in art aspects and quality.

14. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I agree with both of you with one exception. Personally I have not seen an uptick in on-floor buying yet here in the US Midwest. Sole owner antique stores have all but disappeared and antique malls are also suffering. Plenty of empty spaces in both showcases and booths and the remaining stock is tired, overpriced, and usually mismarked as to origin. Minimalist decorating trends have taken hold. As collectors have disappeared the manufacturer name has mattered less and less so I think Fid's point is underappreciated here. Most of my buyers seem to be acting largely on impulse or are buying in very broad categories like "majolica" or "bluebirds".

I still do on-line sales on feebay largely because I don't have any other options. I toy with the idea of closing entirely but am a bit of a compulsive shopper, constantly updating my own collections, and need an outlet for my excess. I have a fighting chance of recovering some of my investments through feebay. I have no chance of recovering much of anything by on-site sales in my current physical location. For those still interested, this year I have paid between 15% and 18% of my monthly sales in fees to feebay. This does not count my paypal fees which are comparatively minor. If anyone would like more in-depth details please feel free to message me.
    Don

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I buy stuff that is interesting to investigate, to feel, to look at in hand. then I resell them when they don't fit into my collections. but I'd never risk a big sum on ceramics items simply because the mark is known when I don't see any artistic quality. example: I recently saw a small majolica bowl that reminded me of Thomas Sargent; so it was 8 € only including postage. nice little thing and I puzzled a bit around with the stamp it had on the bottom side and found out that it came from a village pottery that disappeared between the wars because they ran out of good clay - which was visible on mine already. so I listed it for one € and it went for 22 €. when I asked the winning bidder why he was so keen on it, he told me that he was brought up in that village and that the village disappeared nigh to extinction during the war; when I asked why there was a second one bidding he replied he most probably knows him because the maire of a nearby village opened a small museum for rememberance of that region. I had a good laugh about those two old pigheads, very typical on the countryside till today.

LSpegal, Figtree3 and dgbjwc like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Normally Staffordshire figures are tanking these days too; they go for pennies when they used to sell for pounds. Except one I sold years back now. Two women both wanted it, and they tangled the price up from $50 to over $200 - and the winner knew who the loser was; they'd been at it for years. (LOL)

Fid and dgbjwc like this.
  17. Mugzinnys

feebay is the big winner I am lucky to be left any profits at the end of the month. But I enjoy the feedback and stories about the reasons people buy the stranges things for the stranges reasons. Unfortunately feebay is the best outlet for pottery and glass. I Am building a store on the moon crater where life is fairer while gradually fazing out feebay .These plates may not be top of the line but as long as someone like them and are happy to buys them is what its all about.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  18. Mugzinnys

"]Not a clue, but, warm and mellow, soothing colors! It's nice!![/QUOTE]

Thanks Aquitaine I might put that in the listing. With heavy wear to the rim of 1 of the plates, made to be hung on the wall from the village of Schönwald, Bavaria Germany looking for an admirer

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Aquitaine likes this.
  19. Mugzinnys

More known for their figurines than plates, sketchy history and interesting. Thanks Chris
    By the way do you have an image or link to the source for the mark,
    Thanks

20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Chris Marshall I think Mugzinnys was asking you...

Draft saved Draft deleted