Featured Getting a good return on china

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by rhiwfield, Aug 13, 2016.

1. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

Aquitaine's thread on her BiL china sparked some thoughts on how to get a return on domestic china.

In no particular order here they are:
    • There is a good collector market for attractive duos and trios
    • Art deco styling usually sells well
    • 60s styling can sell well but need to be selective eg homemaker and fantasia
    • Scandinavian styling is often a good seller
    • Mix match duos can be winners
    • Wedding and vintage tea collections of china are sought after eg a set of six mix match side plates
    • Soup and cereal bowls are often the best selling parts of a dinner service
    • Some long serving patterns have continued to sell well but are now struggling a tad eg Royal Albert o!d country roses.
    • Shelley sells well and expensive if a desirable pattern, but is prone to damage
    • As in life, being pretty is better than being old!!!

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Don't forget the china smashing stall at fairs and the Greek restaurant market for plates. :)

Aquitaine, rhiwfield and tyeldom3 like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

A lot depends on location too. In the American South, some things have held on longer, and you can move some things we Yankees end up using to hold plants. The California market is different again. Things that sit here fly there.

OTOH, if you're chucking some Susie Cooper or Clarice Cliff, chuck it at me.(LOL)

Aquitaine, rhiwfield and tyeldom3 like this.
  4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Got rid of a few MCM type duos and trios (c and s and side plate) on local Varagesale. Not a Lot of money, but out of the basement! Still have a few left but most sold. Not so for the more traditional sets. Dinner sets are difficult to sell unless they are plain white with gold rim and the like -- good for Christmas. At least that's how it looks from here!

rhiwfield and tyeldom3 like this.
  5. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

The last two sets of Susie Cooper I bought I couldn't shift. Finally put them back into auction and took a hit :(

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

:bigtears::bigtears::bigtears: I have a nice chunk of Stewart glass sitting here that I've never even tried to move. It's probably in the same gravy boat.(sigh)

dgbjwc and komokwa like this.
  7. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Very interesting! My parents recently purchased a very nice 8 place setting set of Mikasa for $35 at an auction.

Draft saved Draft deleted