Featured Ghasghai or Sumac? Horse Blanket Hand-Knotted - How old?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by scoutshouse, Jul 4, 2017.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Hey, ya'll

I'm in Reno for the 4th and picked this up at the local Assistance League Thrift... They labeled it "Horse Blanket - Afghanistan" but I really am not sure what it is.

If I search Sumac (or Soumac) only this one at Barak Oriental Rugs comes up, the rest are not similar: The description says: Sumac rugs are named after the town of Shemakja, in which they were first woven. They are a flat-woven rug that contain beautiful embroidery in which the embroidery threads are not cut...

HorseBlanketBarak.JPG

Here's mine (sorry for the lifeless lighting and lack of dimensions). Many of the components and elements are the same, but it lacks the snazzy tassels. Oddly, both are missing the same fringe on the upper left side, but otherwise in very clean good condition.

Any ideas as to its age and origin? I notice a few are also labeled dowry blankets. Thank you, crew! Having a sweet 4th here in the biggest little city :) Hope you are having the same!

2HorseBlanketVertical.jpg
    HorseBlanketEndCenter (2).jpg

HorseBlanketEndVerso.jpg
    HorseBlanketVerso.jpg

Attached Files:

2. scoutshouse

Still curious about this - Is this a bump? Hope so! Hi, everyone :)

Don't think it's antique, but nice - I have no idea if it's worth $150 or $1500. Ohhh. I see Barak has reduced theirs to $975. Aw.

Here's an image of the example on the Barak site, in case people don't want to click on a link... Any input appreciated!

Screenshot 2017-10-27 15.31.03.png

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You bumped it! Welcome back, Scout!

judy likes this.
  4. scoutshouse

Thanks, BGMA - Happy Friday - I wonder, does anybody "work" here (and consequently care that it's Friday)? I can guess what most do on Saturday: search-search $-$

judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Do you think it might be some kind of camel blanket for under the saddle?
    Patd

scoutshouse and judy like this.
  6. scoutshouse

Sorry @patd8643

I didn't get back to you - it's definitely a horse blanket - for pageant or festival, I think.

At this point, I'm sure it is contemporary, not older than 20 years.

Thanks for your reply :)

judy and komokwa like this.
  7. petey

petey New Member

I have a very similar one and the label says" made in Afghanistan. It is a old tribal horse blanket. Mine was obtained thru a designer and paid approx. $2500.
    At least 50 yrs. old.

Draft saved Draft deleted