Featured glass and more glass??

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Phaik Hooi, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

dear all

1930-50s stuff i found today. please tell me some of them are not just glass :hilarious:
    fake jade and fake diamond. looked up all the fake vs real pages which got me thinking the easiest way is to take a glass cutter to them, so am posting them here instead :D;):rolleyes:

regards
    phaik hooi

red bead bracelet.jpg stones.jpg more beads.jpg orange necklace.jpg glass.jpg green glass necklace.jpg jade pendant.jpg ah ma's jade.jpg other jewelry.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Costume jewellery can have some value too, good not to dismiss it before the costume joolies have a look.
    I can only say something about non-costume, so here comes my few cents worth:
    The first picture could be coral, could be imitation. Some faux coral is made irregular to look like real coral.
    The stones in the second picture are agates.
    The 3rd picture could have a few coral beads among the glass beads, but I'd have to see more detail.
    The necklace in picture 4 looks silver, probably with amber glass.
    The loose stones, do you see any bubbles on close inspection, preferably with a loupe?
    The pretty painted glass beads are of the kind used in traditional Indian jewellery. Penang no doubt has an Indian community.
    The big-bellied Buddha and his two friends are jade, the two beads are Peking glass, don't know about the little cabochons.
    The picture with the bangle, all jade, except maybe for the kebaya pins, which are adorable. Take them to a jeweler, they could be jade, they could be glass. Whichever they are, they make me greedy.:D
    The last picture is probably all costume, and again, nice kebaya pins, you lucky girl.:happy: The chain can be fixed in a second. Well, maybe five seconds.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  3. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry ...how would one wear the kebaya pins? They remind me of chatelaine pins/brooches, being linked with the chains, but I have never seen 3 linked like that. Are they basically the same idea?

4. Any Jewelry

I'm the idiot who deleted photos of my kebaya pins, so I will now take some more.:banghead::banghead:

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Here they are.
    Kebayas are women's blouses worn in Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia. They originated in Java, Indonesia, and are worn with a kain (what we would call a sarong) or sarung (long fold-over tube skirt).
    Traditional kebayas have no buttons, there are usually two flaps on the front. This is a traditional Javanese style lace kebaya:
    upload_2017-11-11_14-24-53.jpeg

The pins:
    upload_2017-11-11_14-25-24.jpeg

And this is the kebaya closed using the pins:
    upload_2017-11-11_14-26-12.jpeg

Same idea, different model kebaya, the two folds meet in the middle and are pinned together the same way as the flaps:
    upload_2017-11-11_14-32-47.jpeg

6. Phaik Hooi

tq tq!!
    used loupe. no bubbles but chips and cracks. here are the closeup of the beads.
    red beads.jpg orange beads.jpg green and black beads.jpg

7. Phaik Hooi

your pins are beautiful!! we wear ours vertical. my 2 great grandmas and my grandparents :happy::joyful::D
    nagore road ah chor.jpg cheeseman road ah chor.jpg ah kong and ah ma.jpg

BoudiccaJones, judy, cxgirl and 5 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Oh, lovely Phaik, thanks for posting those.:happy:
    Indonesian ones are worn vertical, horizontal, and often diagonal in a devil-may-care look. They started out as vertical pins without chains, sometimes just one brooch-like and the rest invisible on the inside, like the girl in the photo below has (no relative). Javanese women also wore a 'slendang' over one shoulder, a long piece of batik or other textile that would serve as anything you needed at the time, scarf, wrap, baby-carrier:
    [​IMG]

9. Any Jewelry

The beads in the first picture are glass.
    In the second picture, the salmon coloured tube beads and the salmon and white beads look like coral, so do the slightly dirty looking ones, that's just another type of coral I think. Pacific coral often looks more brownish than Mediterranean, which is what we have here in the Netherlands.
    The little medallion is carnelian.
    The long green beads in the last picture look like aventurine.

10. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

I learned so much from this thread. Thank you!

judy, Aquitaine, cxgirl and 1 other person like this.
  11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

i have a necklace very similar to the one with amber glass, but mine is green. I'm afraid to wear it because the chain on mine is extremely fine.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The necklace might be 1930s Czechoslovakian and probably glass.
    Check the clasp it may be stamped.

judy, Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  13. Phaik Hooi

me too! :joyful:

no stamp. probably a local reproduction :D

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

THey're not always stamped, I have several.

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Phaik Hooi

did yours have a dangly bit on the middle piece?
    while looking for stamp, i found a little ring that could have held an extra dangly bit. could not find any loose orange bits though :p:D

judy likes this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That orange necklace is Czech, without a doubt. The pale green beads with the red flecks are Japanese glass.

judy, Any Jewelry and Phaik Hooi like this.
  17. Phaik Hooi

are the japanese glass pre-WWII?

judy likes this.
  18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Post-1950 from the look of them. Not that it matters much, price-wise.

19. Phaik Hooi

noted tq :)

Draft saved Draft deleted