Featured Glass Brooch Not Goofus Glass

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by cxgirl, Jul 30, 2018.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    for once no questions, just thought I would share this. I thought I found that this was goofus glass but now I don't believe that is the correct term, thanks to Cluttered:) Good example of why you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet. Not sure if there is another name for this type of brooch, will keep searching to see what I can find. Doesn't show in the photos but the domed glass is bevelled around the edges.
    this had been edited.
    DSCF3526.jpg DSCF3521.jpg DSCF3520.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Very nice Cxgirl! Thanks for showing it, and great detective work! :pompous:

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Nice brooch.
    I don't mean to put a damper on your pretty pin. But Goofus Glass is the wrong term for it.
    Goofus glass was pressed glass that was painted gold and red, and sometime with green accents. It often washed or flaked off.

I think what you have is an intaglio pin that has been enamel painted. Don't know if there is a specific name for it.

4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks Cluttered:) no need to worry about putting a damper on my id, best to get the correct information. I was going by what I was finding on-line, so this is a good example of why you have to double check information! The design looks pressed into the glass, would it still be considered intaglio?
    I'll see if I can find a name for this and will update!

5. clutteredcloset49

I can't see the pin well. I thought the underside had been cut away and painted from the back before being put in the brass.

Is it painted from the front?
    Is the design raised on top?

6. clutteredcloset49

7. clutteredcloset49

8. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I have it in hand and it is hard to determine, but it looks pressed to me and painted inside the pressed part, the design is raised on the top.
    that is great information! I think the MOP is painted.
    lol, I know, once someone writes a description up it gets copied and before you know it all the pieces are called goofus glass (as I did).
    thanks very much cluttered, I believe you are correct, this isn't Goofus Glass and I've just changed the title.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I see MOP painted with what sort of looks like enamel, or something thick that will dry in raised dabs.

If the image is impressed or engraved into the back side of the glass it is called reverse intaglio or reverse carved. This looks more like a miniature painted on MOP and framed under glass.

Can't vouch for the accuracy of this article, but states that Essex is not the correct name to apply even to genuine painted reverse intaglio rock crystal. Does explain how pieces are made. It is not cheap to do & you would not expect to find a genuine one set in brass or base metal.

judy, Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I LOVE THAT PIN!!!!!! I also lightened it to see if it would help you, @clutteredcloset49, in seeing it. Do where I put the arrows have any bearing on what you're seeing?????

zzzzDSCF3526.jpg

judy, Christmasjoy, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  12. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks AJ and Bronwen:), this is turning into an interesting thread!
    So it looks like Sussex crystal brooch is another name/term that has been used incorrectly, and there are many listed as such.
    I'll try and get some better photos this afternoon, definitely a raised design on this, as for the MOP I think it is painted on but really not 100% sure as I look at it again. I'm thinking I should take this apart to see how it is made.

13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

thanks Aquitaine:)

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

After looking at the bigger picture that @Aquitaine posted (Thank you) it might be a little earlier than the 30s.
    Where the arrows are, I can see an edge, but can't determine if that is where paint stops or not.

I wouldn't open the back. Right now it is tightly closed.

15. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

More likely, I think, just to be a little section of MOP. Inexpensive, was once used a lot. Trickier to paint realistically.

16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

To me, it looks like the decoration has been painted on an oval piece of MOP too!! It also looks like someone might have done a 'hot needle' test up to the left of the flower basket, in that shiny spot.......unless that's just impurities in the MOP???

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  17. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

here are a few photos to try and show the depth of this. In the last photo you can see some the triangle facet cuts that are along the edge.
    DSCF4111.jpg DSCF4118.jpg DSCF4120.jpg DSCF4122.jpg

19. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Not Essex Crystal, there is a link in the quote below from Bronwen about Essex Crystal.

20. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Yes, no way to open it up without breaking it so I'll leave it alone:)

Draft saved Draft deleted