Featured Glass budai / hotei / laughing buddha - how old?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by aaroncab, Oct 19, 2018.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I've found a couple of roughly similar pieces on the usual sale sites Etsy/Ebay etc... that say theirs are Meiji (just over 100 years old approx)period or thereabouts. I'm not sure - so I'm asking :) Has a rough pontil scar (even though it's solid glass).

About 4"(10cm0 tall, just over 5"(13cm) wide at the base. Weighs 34 ounces, 976 grams.

As always thanks for looking and thanks for the help!

44705864404_3414db0409_kdev.jpg 45378343972_15b08e2855_kdev.jpg 44515041115_5c67f40621_kdev.jpg 44514993215_faa32ff2c7_kdev.jpg 30489450317_3afec028d5_kdev.jpg 45430183931_a8e4cdda8e_kdev.jpg

Christmasjoy, Pat P and i need help like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I don't know if yours is actually old or not.
    I can tell you that I go to wholesale gift shows where there are usually some Chinese importers. I have seen this green glass Buddha displayed.
    So without having it in hand, I would be skeptical.

3. clutteredcloset49

Oh and they also show him in the same green resin.

4. aaroncab

Agree there are literally tons of laughing buddhas imported every year for sale in gift shops etc... I'm not sure if he's old either - he was quite dirty before I cleaned him up but that's not a reliable indicator of any age. He's definitely glass though, not resin. In hand he has a much better quality look/feel than most of the recent knick knack type gift items I've seen a lot lately.

5. clutteredcloset49

Oh, didn't realize you had it yourself. For some reason I interpreted your question as the item being online.

Wonder when they started making buddhas in glass? Particularly that green color. I'm sure there are jade ones, have always seen the rosewood ones.
    Imports of Chinese items were popular in the 1950s, 1920/30s, and the late 1800s as well as the mid 1700s. Sorry, doesn't help much.

judy, Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

The other thing. If he were made in the Meiji period, wouldn't you think the pontil would have been finished off better. Pride of workmanship.

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I have green glass buddhas bought on Singapore in the 1980s - nice little things, but new then.

8. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

9. aaroncab

Pat P likes this.
  10. aaroncab

11. aaroncab

Thanks OBB.

12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Ah, so it's used both as a technical, historical term and also a modern popular term. I'll have to remember that. :)

13. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

There appears to be a faint mold line across his head and down the edge of his robes, which would indicate a two-piece mold was used.

komokwa and aaroncab like this.
  14. aaroncab

Yes there is a faint mold line as you described.

15. clutteredcloset49

I was just about to comment that the one on ruby lane shows the same mold mark as yours does. See now you've already mentioned it.
    upload_2018-10-19_18-38-15.png

aaroncab and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted