Glass- Cranberry opalescent bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by classiquejunque, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Hi All,
    Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday weekend. An interesting cranberry bowl, I know that many would call it a brides basket bowl. It does not have a pontil. So that makes me think fenton. Any thoughts??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think your bowl dates to the late 1800s, which would rule out Fenton.
    Who did it, I'm sorry, I don't know. Could be American or European.

3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Fenton had pontile marks on a lot of glass. This was manipulated to shape after molding. For the manipulation it was held in a snap case on the marie is base. That is an alternative to the pontile rod. It could well be very early Fenton but I doubt it. Most likely pre dates Fenton.

afantiques likes this.
  4. Thank you for lookin, So "early cranberry opalescent brides bowl 12"fluted edge" it will be. On to my blue period.

5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

The glass makers called that crimpt/crimped done with a special tool.

Draft saved Draft deleted