Glass/Crystal Question(s)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Shwikman, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

We’ve got a small hoard of this stuff. I’m assuming it’s cut crystal as the edges are quite crisp but I’m unsure. Much of it follows this some type of motif in terms of decoration. I believe the two smaller pieces are the same pattern, the larger one maybe just similar.
    When trying to determine value is it important to identify the maker and the pattern or just the general age and quality? Do the pieces just speak for themselves in terms of their beauty? Maybe a combination I’m guessing.
    Sadly they do not being us joy so we’ll probably be moving most of them along. the good news is they’re in really great shape.
    FWIW, I didn’t see any marks on them but I understand marks on glass can be hard to spot.
    Thank You!
    AA69CC3B-6202-460F-903E-3C1A44EA3570.jpeg DF3D8E89-8C00-406A-B15F-5043899C45E5.jpeg 18D3EC08-3919-455A-9AB2-838CDF5959DD.jpeg 8A330CE2-82E6-4770-BC5A-A1E084B852BF.jpeg

Tom Mackay and cxgirl like this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The first one is American Brilliant Period cut glass.
    A water carafe.

The amount of cutting, pattern, maker if you can determine it, determine value.
    Finding the mark for the company is difficult if there is one.

http://www.cutglass.org/articles/whatisabp.htm

judy, cxgirl and Shwikman like this.
  3. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

Great! And great reference!
    Thank You!!

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  4. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

If you're on Facebook, the ACGA has a board where you can ask for an ID of your pattern. You can look for mark on the glass. You'll need to look under bright light or in sunlight at the bottom for a (probably) faint mark, most likely in the center or near the edge of the carafe.

clutteredcloset49 and judy like this.
  5. Kelly Green

Kelly Green New Member

@ascot, what is ACGA, please?

i need help likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

American Cut Glass Association
    The website I linked to.

Draft saved Draft deleted