Featured Glass finds, some FENTON questions.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Went to the BEST estate sale last weekend. Professionally run, but prices were reasonable. I'm not such a glass expert but took a chance on things I had a feel might have value.

Asking about the glass only. I've think I've ID'd the corn cob bud vase (Dugan white opalescent) and the jadeite honeypot (LE Smith). Thinking the epergne and the low white hobnail glasses are Fenton Opalescent hobnail. Yellow candle holder has Murano label. First photo shows the whole group, more photos to follow (w/questions). Thanks.

finds3a.jpg

Am I correct to call this Fenton French Opalescent?
    finds4.jpg

My first ever fairly lamp. Thinking this is a newer piece 1970s or 80s if not newer. Any idea of maker?

finds5.jpg

These instructions in the fairly lamp looked fairly new.
    finds5b.jpg

Would these small tumblers also be Fenton French opalescent?

finds6.jpg

aaafenton.jpg

These slightly larger hobnail glasses have such a great color. Would I call the color "plum"?

finds6a.jpg
    Bottoms marked, so clearly Fenton:

finds6b.jpg

OMG, I love this piece, its so flamboyant! Might even be a keeper, but would like to ID it. 6" tall. Also Fenton??

finds8a.jpg

finds9b.jpg

Thanks for taking a look. :)

bercrystal, judy, johnnycb09 and 7 others like this.
  2. Lucille.b

Guess I have one last question, as Martha Stewart seems to have made a version of this honeypot. honey1.jpg

Mine is LE Smith, right?

honey2.jpg

bercrystal, ola402, antidiem and 5 others like this.
  3. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

4. Lucille.b

Awesome Bdigger. That's the fairy lamp for sure. Thanks. :)

bercrystal, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Lucille.b

Also Tallcakes ID'd the purple barber's bottle, hard to see in the back of the photo.

bercrystal, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

My general rule with Fenton is that they don't have "pointy" hobnails. Compare the hobnails on your known Fenton pieces to the Hobnails on the unknowns, the unknowns look to be very Pointy where as the fentons are rounded.
    Funny thing is....the piece you like so much has the pointy hobs, but a nice even ruffle. Still the hobs steer me away from Fenton. I could be totally wrong here, but those are my observations.

bercrystal, judy, Rclinftl and 3 others like this.
  7. Satin In A Coffin

Satin In A Coffin Well-Known Member

Does anyone actually burn candles in those? If so, is putting a little water in the base the standard thing to do?

ola402, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  8. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

bercrystal, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  10. Lucille.b

Bingo, Pearls. Thanks. From the site: "Fig. 9 Molded letter S mark on several pieces. S stands for L.E. Smith the glass company, not Stewart."

Yes the hobnails are more pointy for sure, so maybe not Fenton. Any idea what other maker for this pink one?

Very helpful! Thank you.

This is my first fairly lamp. I only learned about them on this one Youtube channel... actually some of the younger buyers are looking for them so thought I'd grab it. No idea about the water in the base! I might tend to use one of those LED candles, but I bet a real one would look great.

11. Lucille.b

The plot thickens! Mine definitely has the flat top. This flat top one sold well on Ebay for $175, seller called it Northwood Duncan. No idea if yet another maker for these or if correct.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/225153873509?hash=item346c377665:g:v2sAAOSwDpljGU6~&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoA2SRXwswXXyccNKUkrCIegGJu41bKoDFgbCFhDvi7RealD+jDPTuLZEQ1pCeDS4OEWx2Tl8ilDLUxIiGBCN1m6C4svsMSWvOy9DP0ocOT1cOLilAROBNtaY1bRUU2pJaovamwJUFaIP3VhJlL/EfNJ01BcytyisODiK3/0w6UIpvQmgKBx7jXrnq2GofQqBZcHyLuvWy4feOC8zUrLos6k=|tkp:Bk9SR-K27ZnwYA&nma=true&si=MyNqjL7DiNkvPU49RcMLzLlwbLQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

(Photo from above Ebay auction.)

cornnorthwood.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
    bercrystal, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

bdigger would be correct - the cranberry opalescent hobnail piece with the crimped top would be Hobbs Brockunier Celery Vase

13. Lucille.b

Wow, thanks for the identification on this. I was getting nowhere.

Here is one on a MET museum website. I would not have thought it was that old!! I like it even better knowing that. (1886-1900).

Thank you, @Rclinftl

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/1507

Tallcakes also ID'd another purchase I got from this sale also as Hobbs Brockunier. (The Barber bottle.)

aabarber.jpg

Very interesting learning about all of this.

14. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Such beautiful glass! Excellent find! I'd be thrilled with that find! :joyful::joyful::kiss:

Lucille.b likes this.
  15. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Not sure about the barber bottle (not a Hobbs color) but the Ruby Opalescent celery (bigger than the hand) is from Hobbs, Brockunier, Wheeling, W. VA., ca 1885. They called the pattern No. 323, Dew Drop.

Oops, didn't look at the link, above.

16. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Real candles look much better than the LED ones, but I understand why people use them for safety reasons, esp. w children around.

When using a fairy lamp, I ALWAYS place a votive candle in a glass votive holder and then put it inside the fairy lamp. The glass votive holder is tempered and can take the heat if the candle is left to melt down. Placing a candle right in the fairy lamp can be disastrous. At best you could have a waxy mess to clean up and at worst the heat from the candle cracks the glass fairy lamp. When I sold these in my space, I always offered them with the votive holder included. I've never used water in the base, don't know what that would do but I don't like to clean up too much so likely would not use water.

17. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

@Lucille.b I love that jadite honey jar, regardless of who made it.

Lucille.b and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted