Featured Glass foil and pearl necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Apr 3, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I've got several of these 30's foil necklaces as I have a weakness for them but I was thinking that I don't know enough about them. Czech or Venetian?. This is the only one I have with a pearl which is really what I'd like to know about please. What type of pearl is it likely to be or where would it have come from? It's real and much bigger than anything I've seen on similar jewellery. Thankyou :)
    IMG_5497.JPG IMG_5494.JPG IMG_5495.JPG IMG_5496.JPG IMG_5498.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Wow, that pearl means business. It is a Baroque pearl. I wonder if it is an 'interloper' though. It is a beauty, but what is the yellow spot?
    The glass beads look Venetian to me, but @Ownedbybear knows more about that than I do.

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I was wondering if it was a marriage as the links between the beads are the squared off rolled gold type but the chain is, well, chain!.
    The yellow spot on the pearl is an indentation. It's definitely a pearl rather than glass as I've nibbled it and eyed it up closely through a loupe :hilarious:

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Love the pearl. The glass beads are nice too, but it seems an odd combination.
    What does it taste like?:angelic:

stracci, Christmasjoy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  5. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

yummmmmy

6. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Any real pearl is delicious!
    I’ve just had a closer look at the links and the pearl is on round wire and the beads are on square so it’s definitely an imposter. Even so, does the pearl have a value or are they two a penny?. It’s a keeper anyway so just interest value as those beads are going NOWHERE!

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I have a lovely necklace with those beads. If I can find it, I'll post a photo. I'm inclined to Venice as the origin. Agree on 1930s.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd say probably 30s too, with the pearl added later to replace a busted/missing bead. I've never seen a harlequin opal bead before, but it's no surprise.

judy likes this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

By that do you mean multi coloured?

10. evelyb30

Yep. It's a classic style of glass opal that doesn't really try to fake being genuine.

judy and KSW like this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou- Now you say it they do look like the colours you see in real opals. I just saw them as beautiful glass not what they were trying to imitate!.

judy likes this.
  12. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

What a beaut!

judy and KSW like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thank you :)

judy likes this.
  14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have a beautiful Czech bead necklace that started out life as faux pearl. I used to do beadwork and bought boxes of broken or unwanted bead necklaces. When I saw that the pearl paint was chipping off some and the beads underneath were beautiful opal glass, I removed all the rest of the paint. It's put away and I haven't seen it in years. I just wonder if these beads once had a pearlized coating to match the one real pearl.

KSW likes this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Maybe!. I've found some fun beads under paint but nothing as nice as these. You must have been very happy to find those :)

16. evelyb30

These probably wouldn't have been coated; they're too much work to make.

17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agree, and far too fancy.

Draft saved Draft deleted